Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

2014 Multistrada Heated Grips Issue

Post articles of general interest to docc members.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

2014 Multistrada Heated Grips Issue

Postby Shauncb12 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:08 am

Joined this forum to get help
Got a 14 Multistrada last fall and in love with it.
Only issue--heated grips are not equal--one is 50% as hot as the other.
When it was in for service I asked them to deal with this issue. Ducati warranty rep responded that this is because the handle bars house different things and are not the same temperature.
Makes absolutely no sense to me. I run into the edge of snow each late fall and am not keen to have a king bike that makes me nearly have one hand on fire so the other is not frozen.
My take is there is 100% no chance Ducati designed such a killer bike while over looking this flaw.
Asking 2 questions:
Anyone else run into this issue?
How do I inspire Ducati to honour their warranty on the bike and professionally solve this issue?
Appreciate the feedback
Also do not use forums, so if I posted this the wrong place etc let me know.
Thanks
Shauncb12

Re: 2014 Multistrada Heated Grips Issue

Postby chris fournier » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:51 am

What they are trying to tell you is that the left bar is just that, your grip over an aluminum bar with the heating element sandwiched in between the two. On your right side you have the aluminum bar, a plastic throttle tube, and your grip with the heating element between the throttle tube and the grip. Your right grip is slightly larger in diameter too.

Perhaps you can borrow an infrared thermometer and heat up your grips and check the temps? I do not believe that the current to the grips is different one side to the other and given the above there will some variation in temp.

Also consider how you hold onto both grips, is your hand position different from left to right?

I have never noticed a 50% difference in heat on any bike and it would help you if you can actually verify this. One hand is typically hotter on my BMW and that is my left hand.

You may be able to put a resistor in line to cool down the hot grip but I am now sure how to calculate it's value, perhaps someone can comment on this.

Stay warm.
chris fournier

Re: 2014 Multistrada Heated Grips Issue

Postby robb916998 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:39 am

I remember reading years ago about installing heated grips , that you have to wrap tape around the one side to insulate the bar from the element ,or it has the effect of a heat sink .

ya you would think ducati would have a bug worked out but mass production is ,, mass produced !

not sure where you are but if you take it to a real ducati dealer like Apex or Ingles both in south western Ontario I am positive they would fix it and leave you with nothing but warm and fuzzy , at least in your hands ,,, fealing
hi
robb916998

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to general interest topics