Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

What is VINTAGE?

The docc defines "vintage" as all Ducatis' up to and including all models of the 750 F1.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

What is VINTAGE?

Postby fmcd92 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:43 am

I can Google Vintage but get no single, definitive answer that seems to fit well with the dynamic side of DOCC activities, particularly track riding since riding is what motorcycles are for, isn't it?

Presently, Ducatis up to and including the F1 in all iterations are considered vintage. Any convincing arguments to emulate the passage of time by moving the vintage designation slightly forward since so few vintage Ducatis come out?

Or is the current definition correct and effort invested in promotion the right way to attract and bring out more?

Vintage also describes many of the owners who have stopped riding these historic pieces, is this maybe the issue?
We do classic/vintage/2v Ducati
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

Re: What is VINTAGE?

Postby The Goochman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:47 pm

How about using a number, like 20 (a generation) or 25 model years instead of trying to define what model is within the cuttoff? For 2014, that would make it 1989 or 1994.

If we state an model age in years, it will roll on an annual basis and we won't have to keep updating things.

What ever age we choose, it either is or isn't. For example, just because the 900ss was made in both 1989 and 1990 does not make the latter bike vintage in 2014. We can go by the model on the headstock. On the other hand, we don't have to be hard a** about it.

What do you think?

Dave G
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby old red dog » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:56 pm

I wrote a bunch but the site lost it ! I think that I am vintage ! Gerry
old red dog

Postby Mark Lussier » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:49 pm

When considering vintage and speaking Ducati, it's more a question of generation rather than age. Post F1 we are looking at the slab sided 900ss, 851/888, the ugly Paso's, and maybe carbureted Monsters. There's not much technological difference between model years, so a firm date cut off shouldn't apply. The VRRA rules would probably work for us. Pre 1989 or like kind.. as follows

The following examples and exceptions are permitted in Period 4.
These are some examples of bikes eligible for Period 4. If no date is listed for machines, then only those
built up to and including model year 1989 are eligible.
Aprilia 250
Bimota DB1 750
BMW R100, K75
Cagiva 500 GP bike
Ducati Paso 750 to 906, 851/888, 750 F1, SS/Sport 750 to 900, 900SS air/oil cooled V-Twins to 1996
KTM 600
Moto Guzzi 1000 LeMans
DOCC Events Coordinator
Mark Lussier

Postby Mark Lussier » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:57 am

As one of the shrinking number of members who regularly bring and ride a vintage bike, I'd like to see more. Not sure how to do that. Riders bringing their vintage bikes are getting so sparse that the post lunch vintage/two up ride ended being merged with the 1st Blue class after lunch.

Even with the traditional schedule I was challenged. Take my daughter two up or ride the 350. I just didn't work out. Friends have ridden my 350 in more vintage sessions than I have. For the past few years, I'd just ride the 350 in my regular yellow sessions so I could get some time on it. I'm use to getting passed so what the f%&, just ride it. I know that a number of vintage owners wouldn't even consider that as an option.

There's only so much space in a trailer, so if we want more vintage bikes we need to do something different to encourage members to bring them. Discounted sessions in Blue for those with vintage bikes or free/discounted Blue sessions for riders already registered in Yellow/Green?

Yep, the pre grid volunteers might have to look for another sticker or something to figure it, but I'm sure we could learn.
DOCC Events Coordinator
Mark Lussier

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to vintage ducati tech