Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

dukes of cycle?

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

dukes of cycle?

Postby fastcan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi there.
Does anyone have any experiences with these guys that are worth mentioning?
good or otherwise?
Thanks
fastcan

Re: dukes of cycle?

Postby robb916998 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:35 pm

I have talked with them and have found that they are fairly good guys.
I have seen some of the bikes they build and really like what I see.1098 motors in 996 bikes ,AWESOME!!!
looking at the parts they bring to the displays at the shows looks like they have the good stuff.

But I have never been their, been meaning to but havn't made it yet.

The bikes they brought to the super show made the D.O.C.C. display look pathetic.

Looks like they no whats ,what.

If you do go and deal with them ,let us no how it was would you ??
hi
robb916998

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:20 am

I have a track 916 with a 999 motor in it that they did the work on.

I am currently in the process of stripping it to the frame and undoing some of their handywork. A few examples:

1) The cross bracing on the 916 interferes with one of the brackets that holds the throttle bodies together. The cross bracing was just hacked off and the frame was left to rust rather than fabricate a new bracket.

2) The airbox for the 916 has a different base than a 998. The bottom of the airbox was just cut off and the throttle bodies were left wide open with no air filters. (I knew this when I bought the bike)

3) The wiring (a combination of 749, 998, 996R) was attached to the frame using zip ties. No real brackets. No real professionalism. I also knew about this when I bought it but didn't realize that extra wires were just cut and left in order to lighten the harness. There are also missing wires for the tachometer and temperature guage because the 749 harness does not have the pins required to hook up the analog tach from the 916.

To be fair, I don't know if the original owner was aware of these issues and decided not to pay to fix them or if cutting corners is the norm. I bought the bike with both eyes wide open and was prepared to strip it completely to rebuild it. However, if I was a shop owner (and I have worked at some shops), I would not be happy if this bike had gone out of my door.

Chris

Update: I was recently talking with Chris from TDOC and was informed that the person that did the work on the bike that I bought did NOT work at his shop but was merely a friend of the shop. The issues above were created by the former owner and NOT by TDOC. The former owner knew about the issues but did not want to address them or pay to have them fixed. When discussing with Chris, he knew the history of the bike and told a very different story than the previous owner. I will take Chris at his word that his shop did not do the work and look forward to working with TDOC in the future.
Last edited by Chris on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Postby fastcan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:00 pm

So I took the bike to them for a dyno tune, and they wrote a custom eprom.
They could not give me a printout of the results, but I will know as soon as I ride it.
I will post when I know.
fastcan

Postby fastcan » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:08 am

I will give Dukes of Cycle a plug here.
Custom eprom works fantastic, and it was no doubt a difficult bike to set up.
(bunch of parts thrown together)
Carmine seems to know his stuff.
fastcan

Postby vmxracer » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi Guys
I bought a 996 engine from these guys for my race bike. I took out the 748 and bolted in the new 996 in. All I can say is they were fantastic. I have been dealing with Chris. He even did a few follow up calls to see how everything was going. He even took some of my old parts as partial payment. From what Chris did for me, TWO thumbs up r
vmxracer

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech