Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

916 clutch

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
16 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

916 clutch

Postby robb916998 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Last year at mosport the 916 developed a clutch problem ,going into 5 or 8 and trying to gear down was proving to be very difficult . Felt like the clutch was not dis engaging and the resulting shifts were less than smooth lets say.
I have changed the slave,went with a oberon .
Changed the master ,went to a 1098 stoker.
replaced the well worn out clutch.went with yoyodine
replaced the well worn basket,went with yoyodine harden alloy ,and stiffener ring.
found a 2 piece clutch push rod and replaced it with a 1 piece.
new banjo bolt at slave with bleed port.
drain and re bleed with dot 4.

I really didn't get to ride Saturday morning much ,but buy Saturday night I have the same problem.
I spent a lot of time Sunday after noon out with a rider that I was shadowing ,when shifting turned into very scary prospect indeed as I would shift and the bike would lounge !
NOT COOL.

So any way after finally recovering from the event week end ,not fully but good enough for now .I drag the bike out and take the clutch out to try and figure out what the hell has gone wrong .
I am 100% positive I put the new 1 piece clutch push rod in as I have the old 2 piece still in the tool box.BUT my push rod is now a 2 piece ?? The pressure plait bearing feels fine ,perfect,gait ,I in no way shape or form of feel can make that bearing be any thing but silky smooth !!

I have a new pressure plait on order with a bearing .

So to the question , what am I over looking ?
And do yoyodine clutches sound like you are ridding with a load of scrap metal in the belly pan??

As always any and all comments are appreciated !

THANX
hi
robb916998

Re: 916 clutch

Postby robb916998 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:33 pm

ya I no ,yoyodYne :roll:
hi
robb916998

Postby Ric » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Kinda sounds to me like the pressure plate bearing wasn't fully seated.I always heat the plate with a heat gun,and then gently tap the bearing in with a big socket the same size as the outer race.
I'll meet ya in the bar.
Ric Waterloo #944
Ric

Postby robb916998 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Stock plait and bearing !
that why its going to be replaced.

Is it possible the bearing feels okay but f@%ks up hot ??
hi
robb916998

Postby robb916998 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:30 pm

one other thing !
How much should the drum ,or hub part that the drive plaits spline into move??
I no its a cush drive drum ,but seems like it was moving more than I would like !
??
hi
robb916998

Postby The Goochman » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Rob,

If you put in a one piece rod and took out a 2 piece rod, there is definitley something not right.

Dumb question, you do realise that the pressure plate has to be indexed to the drum don't you? I'm not sure if that would break a clutch rod, but it sure wouldn't help. I think it will only go back in one spot, although it feels like it will fit, the alignment won't be right.

What did the broken ends of the clutch rod look like?

The bearing should not be affected by heat, but if it is misaligned, it could be a problem. It may be being forced into a strange location as the pressure plate is tightened down. Don't know for sure.

Give me a call at home and we can talk about it if you want. Typing is too slow.

Dave G
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby cm250to999 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:26 pm

I only read post this morning. Then things got busy. I've been scratching my head on it.
New clutch is not a slipper? Pressure plates are very different.
Stock center hub can wear out. You can buy the rubber cushions, but complete assembly is cheaper.
Interesting that original push rod broke with original clutch....I'm assuming it broke. There are 2 different lengths, and a short spacer is used for aftermarket slaves on pre 2001 models with shorter rod.
It smells like a center hub issue. Yoyodyne stuff is good, they have a center hub replacement.
Would have to scratch and sniff to give better opinion
For, those that fly, may fight againe, Which he can never do that's slain.
OR: Fewer crashes mean more track time. ;)
cm250to999

Postby 4theloveofducati » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:27 am

4theloveofducati

Postby cm250to999 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:56 am

I am scratching my head on this one....
Maybe, since the pressure plate is tied to the center hub, and the hub is moving too much, it is causing stress to the push rod. The needle bearing in tranny shaft can go, but I'd only expect scoring of the push rod. My monster hub wore the rubbers out, but it only caused excessive in & out movement. That defeated disengagement. Truth is I'm stumped for a good answer.
cm250to999

Postby 4theloveofducati » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:42 pm

4theloveofducati

Postby cm250to999 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:18 pm

No, the nut would have to be falling off loose.
Center hub is 2 piece with rubber cushions in between. Nut tight holds inner part (steel), cushions and huge flat washer hold outer part (aluminum). If there is a ton of wear around huge flat washer with cutouts for spring post, rubbers are toast. One company makes a one piece hub, no cushion....I would not use that. All the shock would beat up tranny, I think.
cm250to999

Postby robb916998 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:22 pm

well their is a ton of wear around or under the big spacer with the cut outs !
it has pounded into that hub ,probably as much as the spacer is thick.
my thought was ,thicker spacer ?

I duno.

The push rod brakes at the rt side where the second o ring is ,probably the weakest point .
It is making my brain itch ! if the pressure plait was failing im shur it would have a result like this .But as I said it feels awesome,I have a new Barnett plait on order just to try it.

Dont like the idea of keeping Ducati in business buying clutch push rods in bulk .Or maybe that would be cheaper than the $50 for one at a time !feck
hi
robb916998

Postby cm250to999 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:02 am

From a distance, I would suggest;
New inner hub complete.
Maybe new needle bearing and seal in tranny shaft.

I did add a second spacer to my monsters old hub to tame the slop. But, that was a patch that was discarded as soon as I found a new hub.

The alloy part and rubbers wear so that rebuilding is moot. The cheapest part is the steel portion and the most likely to reuse. In the end a complete assembly is what to go for....or a slipper. My 999 slipper is made from 4 junked assemblies. It's a little rude and noisy, but works. Maybe I identify with it. :roll:

I think it is possible the hub is transmitting stress to push rod. Push rod is releasing that stress at weak point near o-ring. I can see case bore being opened by this, allowing rod to dance extra.

I hope you win the fight.
cm250to999

Postby robb916998 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:33 pm

Oh k ,hears what we learned today .
In fact there is a very small needle bearing in the end of the counter shaft that the push rod goes through .
WOW is it small ! and man oh man dose it feel bad !!
I tried working some cleaner into it then working some grease into it and yep ,still feels like a bag of gravel .
I guess closer inspection of failed parts would have been time well spent .As i look at the original push rod it is pitted where the bearing runs around it .New push rod is slightly heat discolored.
New bearing and seal on order .
fingers and toes crossed they arrive be for Calabogie .
hi
robb916998

Postby Jeff Morrow » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Hey Rob,
I had a similar thing happen to me years ago on our 900. The steel safety washer (with the cut outs) had worn into the hub alowing the hub to move out to the point where the springs were wearing on the cover when the clutch was being disengaged. Bought a new hub and safety washer from Inglis ($150) problem solved.
DOCC 830
Ride hard, take no prisoners
Jeff Morrow

Next

16 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Return to modern ducati tech