Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Changing suspension settings before 1st service

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Changing suspension settings before 1st service

Postby Stephen W. » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:02 pm

I never heard this one before. Dealer claims rep told them that you can not change the factory suspension settings before the 1st service because you will do damage to the shock and void the warrantee.
Really?
Anyone care to comment, Ken, Chris?
the Dreamer (a.k.a. Dreamin' Stephen)
Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.
2013 MV Agusta 675 F3, 1998 900 SS FE (bi posto)
Stephen W.

Re: Changing suspension settings before 1st service

Postby chris fournier » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:17 am

Horse Puckey. I certainly have not heard that from Ducati while working at Apex. Ducati's warranty stance and practices are very fair.
chris fournier

Postby Stephen W. » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:29 am

Not a Ducati Dealer. If it had been Steve Hicks who had made the claim I’d have followed his word to the letter. I wouldn’t have agreed based on my own experience mind you but if anyone knows these things it would be Mr. Hicks.

I think it was a case of flat rate, get it done. I have no direct knowledge that the rep ever made the statement just what the salesman cited as the reason for not adjusting the preload at delivery.

I firmly believe that a modern motorcycle should have its suspension adjusted for the weight of the rider before delivery. Furthermore, that the owner be present to see how it is done and made aware of the consequences of not adjusting the suspension based on load and riding conditions.

Oh it was sooooo much easier back in the day when only the rear shocks were adjustable. Usually they had four settings for pre load only. You got a pinwrench in your well-stocked tool kit and left the dealer with the shocks set on #2. If you were a real flyweight it was on #1. If you picked up a girlfriend you’d set it on #3. If it was a buddy with a case of beer you crank it down to #4. Not that I ever had a buddy on the back of one of my bikes with a case. I heard Eric talking about that. ;-)
the Dreamer (a.k.a. Dreamin' Stephen)
Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.
2013 MV Agusta 675 F3, 1998 900 SS FE (bi posto)
Stephen W.

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:13 pm

Hello all,
Steve is almost correct about setting #4.Your buddy would be allowed on the back of your bike ,only, if he has a case of beer (Note : none of my bikes have rear pegs).The case of beer must be secured only to the tank,that way if your buddy falls off,there is no reason to go back and pick him up .By the way, a Ural sidecar can carry 8 /24's Inside.Only 6 if carrying a passenger.
Tnxs. Eric
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby chris fournier » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:23 pm

[quote="Stephen W."]Not a Ducati Dealer. If it had been Steve Hicks who had made the claim I’d have followed his word to the letter. I wouldn’t have agreed based on my own experience mind you but if anyone knows these things it would be Mr. Hicks.

I think it was a case of flat rate, get it done. I have no direct knowledge that the rep ever made the statement just what the salesman cited as the reason for not adjusting the preload at delivery.

I firmly believe that a modern motorcycle should have its suspension adjusted for the weight of the rider before delivery. Furthermore, that the owner be present to see how it is done and made aware of the consequences of not adjusting the suspension based on load and riding conditions.

Oh it was sooooo much easier back in the day when only the rear shocks were adjustable. Usually they had four settings for pre load only. You got a pinwrench in your well-stocked tool kit and left the dealer with the shocks set on #2. If you were a real flyweight it was on #1. If you picked up a girlfriend you’d set it on #3. If it was a buddy with a case of beer you crank it down to #4. Not that I ever had a buddy on the back of one of my bikes with a case. I heard Eric talking about that. ;-)

A bike is a wonderful thing when it is set up for the rider, but suggesting that a bike be set up for a rider prior to delivery is not practical, nor would most consumers pay for the cost to do so. How many riders really require a spring rate higher or lower than stock? At least 50% I'd say. Springs front and back, R&R'd - $500.00 without any effort to source the finest in the land. Damping? That's another kettle of fish and $500.00 won't come close if you're getting a custom set up.

In the end it is the rider, not the dealer that really must undertake gaining the knowledge, experience and budget to tailor his/her bike to suit them and the riding that they do. The dealer can be of assistance to this kind of customer! In the end I think that suspension work falls under after sales service not PDI.

I wonder if there is an ideal "Coffe shop parking lot" suspension set up that I should recommend to customers? This seems to be where many fine bikes spend much of their time...
chris fournier

Postby markk900 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:37 am

I sure would like to know what magic happens at the first service to somehow make the adjustment of suspension setting non-harmful to the shocks! Next you'll be hearing "Don't turn the throttle with the engine running before the first service or it will void the warranty".....

We are almost back to the early days: "Never start a cold engine"......
Mark
markk900

Postby cm250to999 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:46 pm

New parts sitting and waiting too long to run may not perform as well as expected, so some run in does make sense. Ducatis a decade ago had a shock spring meant for an anemic midget, and could not be adjusted with a snap on magic stick. Now the spring choice is too stiff for my deceased fat arsed moma.

Yes it should be adjusted. Right away if you like. Preferably with a few miles to break in parts or move sediment.

Only an old dog would pull on this dirty rag, or a mindless twit.

The worst, is that with the internet enlightenment and all 80% of our populous are now not wiping properly after a crap. Neither can they do the simplest thing of all, maintain tire pressures.

God won't help those that won't read a F'n manual, it's in the bible.

Adjustable suspensions should be adjusted, often if you like. Lets have a rant about the non adjustable suspension Ducati and others use on base models. Some of that should be returned to the designers doorstep. In a bag with some poo, set afire. Don't forget to ring the doorbell.
For, those that fly, may fight againe, Which he can never do that's slain.
OR: Fewer crashes mean more track time. ;)
cm250to999

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech