Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Wet Clutch Clanging

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Wet Clutch Clanging

Postby bandito » Wed May 22, 2013 9:13 am

I have noticed lately under 4000 rpm I can hear a clanging when the clutch is engaged/clutch lever not pulled/not in neutral. When the clutch is not engaged/ clutch lever pulled/ in neutral the clanging goes away. I have never heard this noise before. It doesn't happen all the time. Sounds almost as if there is a washer wobbling on a loose bolt or nut. The bike now has 13,000 kms (8,000 miles) and I just did valve adjustment at 10,500 kms (6,500) miles. Maybe I have had something come loose. If I haven't does anyone know what it may be.
bandito

Re: Wet Clutch Clanging

Postby The Goochman » Thu May 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Sounds like you should check it out.

You can remove the clutch cover on a wet clutch engine without dropping the oil if you lean the bike over about 30 degrees. I put a couple of 2 x 4s under the centre stand when I do it. (Centre stand, what is a centre stand I hear you ask!)

If you are careful, you can even reuse the gasket. You may need a puller to get the side case off because of the magnets in the alternator. Not knowing what bike we are talking about I can't be sure exactly what is required.

In my home shop (which I admit is reasonably well equipped) I could have the side case off in less than 30 minutes, unless the exhaust is in the way. Depending on you experience, it may take longer.

Once you get to the clutch, the principles are basically the same as the dry clutch. It is just getting to that point that I more difficult. My wet clutch engine is a Pantah, so the newer engines may be different.

Others with more experience may have better answers.

Dave G
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech