Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Piston repair

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Piston repair

Postby Rzredge » Fri May 08, 2015 6:20 am

I have some vertical play on one of my piston rings (groove wear). Can this be repaired eg. welded ,machined or maybe use an oversize ring. Its on a set of big bore pistons for my 1000ss I'd like to salvage them by repair or some kind of cost effective fix. I know most would just scrap them for a new set but I like to be Mr. fix all! without risking a blow up...
Rzredge

Re: Piston repair

Postby gdesmo » Mon May 11, 2015 10:46 am

Would cost you a fair price to get that done. Most likely a forged piston, so welding would most likely distort piston which would entail more machining and possibly throw off the balance. Also may weaken the piston as well at welding spots. Have you though about searching the "Wiseco" website and seeing if the have a set of rings that are a slightly thicker cross-section ?
gdesmo

Re: Piston repair

Postby Rob374 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:23 pm

Are the sides of the ring groove still parallel to each other or is there a taper from the inside (bottom) to the outside. If the sides are tapered then a new thicker ring might not work. There may not be enough material to reshape the groove so a new thicker ring would be supported properly.
Rob374

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech