Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

74 750 GT valve guides and seals

The docc defines "vintage" as all Ducatis' up to and including all models of the 750 F1.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

74 750 GT valve guides and seals

Postby Bern » Fri May 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Well the exhaust valve guides are shot, the intakes were still OK. The exhaust valve guide on the vertical cylinder literally fell out once I took off the valve spring??? I noticed that there were two oversized valve guides available from bevelheaven, +.002 and +.004. I'm thinking I would need to go with the +.004 on the vertical and would go with +.002 for the rest ,or should I take it to a machine shop and have them tell me? The heads are off so I might as well replace all of the guides right?

I did a quick test with a dry erase marker on the valve seats and the current valves (turning them 1/8 of a turn)and they appear to be seating OK. without doing a proper measurement. I will hold off on any other repairs at the moment.

I noticed that there was a lot of play in the bearing for the bevel gear that drives the cam(horizontal gear on top of the tube), more on the vertical cylinder than the horizontal. Is this normal ? Also if I replace this bearing can I typically use the same shims or do I need to re-shim(requiring an assortment of shims)

Thanks for any insight.

Bern
Bern

Re: 74 750 GT valve guides and seals

Postby ducati588 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:49 pm

There are a few places where you can buy guides and seals. Loudbike is one place that is close http://www.loudbikestore.com. A few places in Australia, US and Europe have then as well. Good luck

Rob
Rob Marshall - '95 Ducati 900SS
- '85 Cagiva 650 Allazurra
ducati588

Re: 74 750 GT valve guides and seals

Postby Eldert » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:11 am

Kibblewhite precision machining makes better valve guides
they have the std size and 4 oversizes

the STD material that Ducati used wasnt not al that great .

Eldert
Eldert

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to vintage ducati tech