Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Track Events planning

Post articles of general interest to docc members.
8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Track Events planning

Postby fmcd92 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:32 pm

What do you feel would contribute to making the club track events better fun for you, personally?

There's nothing as wonderful as cutting laps on a big track like we do but it's the little things that really make the difference between a track day and a DOCC Track Event.

What are some of the things that could happen at a club event like ours?

Thank You!

FM
We do classic/vintage/2v Ducati
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

Re: Track Events planning

Postby Mark Lussier » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:38 am

Club BBQ/dinner Sat night, every event. Skip the tickets. Anyone there is a rider or supporting a rider. If you want a social event, don't exclude the supporters by requiring them to buy a ticket.

Give something to the volunteers and recognize them publicly. They deserve more kudo's than I can post. I think most members do not realize that most of the folks they interact with are volunteers and not paid employees as they would find at any other track day.
DOCC Events Coordinator
Mark Lussier

Postby 4theloveofducati » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:50 am

Do ANYTHING interactive... Even if there is a dinner, not everyone shows up, and when it's done everyone splits. You can't win everybody all at once, no matter what you won't appeal to some it will half to be something to draw the majority of people. I have heard of clubs airing Movies on a projector screen & decent soun system. I wouldn't suggest a live band due to the fact everytime docc has one, I have no interest in it! Haha but if a live band attracts the majority, then so be it. Some form of good entertainment would be good. Now I realize these are all after event ideas, but why would we change the during the day process? If I suggest demo rides or touring rides out side of the track during the day it would take away from the reason we go to the track.

The thing our days need in my opinion is Vendor support. Tire guys are always great to have there, but what about dealers/distributors that can bring merch to the days? If some one has a dumb little tip over, breaks a shifter linkage and a lever and no one has a spare we have no vendor support to have an available option of that person buying something to get them back on the track. Yes with this I realize not one vendor could bring enough supplies to support our wide range of bikes (Spanning from 60's era singles all the way up to late and great 1199's, and then there is the others that join such as aprillia, triumph, KTM, and all Japanese that join us). And we're back to this, I realize you can't make everyone happy, and meet everyone's needs. My only support for saying this is... Who remembers Grattan? The amount of vendors we had there was amazing! You could find anything and everything!!!
4theloveofducati

Postby Flash » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:22 pm

Several years ago at mid Ohio Ducati was the featured marque. Ohio Ducati club put on a excellent old
fashion Italian dinner. Large stock pots of corn, a good variety of dishes (not just pasta dishes and salad). Some people bring contribution prizes. Maybe some people have motorcycle parts and /or stuff that could be sold off and the money (or a percentage) goes to the club to help cover some of the expenses? What about a silent auction? Just some ideas.
Flash

Postby Enzotoys » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:39 pm

What would make DOCC events more fun for me personally would be the possibility to see more ducatis. With the ever growing number of new Ducatis sold year after year and the fact that it becomes more and more difficult to ride fast on public roads with the ever growing number of vehicules and the speed limit enforcement, I ask myself why there is not more Ducati owners who participate in DOCC track week-ends ?

I think one of the possible reasons for this situation is that DOCC does not get enough publicity. Is our Club well knowed at Ducati dealers ? Maybe not enough (I can testify that DOCC is almost unknown at the Quebec City dealership). It would be good for our Club if new Ducati owners would become aware of DOCC existence when buying a new Ducati.

Altough I never went to the Toronto bike show, I suppose DOCC has a stand at this event. What about the other bike shows ? (I hear you telling me I should take care of such a stand in my own City and I am thinking about it).

Another suggestion : would it be a good idea to have a special feature or a special person invited at one track day during the 2014 season ?

Just my two cents.

Gilles Lachance
750 F1, 1098 and Monster 900
Quebec City
Enzotoys

Postby 4theloveofducati » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

4theloveofducati

Postby fmcd92 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:53 am

Just a comment before we get back to building our list of ideas and priorities:

Those new Ducati owners have no interest in the track because mostly they have no reason to want to. Most sport activities need continual promotion and ours needs more than most. Some activities are pretty simple to gear up and go for but track riding is way more complex and particular in safety requirements and all the stuff we constantly discuss, not easy.

For this to be attractive we'll have to get the message out. What message? Aha!

So it's not so impossible that even non-marketing geniuses like us could promote our version of sport riding at the level we do it. Our version is pretty dam'n amazing stuff even though we don't have champagne showers or podiums.

This is the challenge and it's not really rocket surgery. ...er.

You know what I mean.

We need pictures and video clips of us and those like us. With digital graphics even us regular bumpkins can get the message out.

just sayin'

Fran
We do classic/vintage/2v Ducati
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

Postby 4theloveofducati » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:28 am

It's a tough call, really. There are people in the world that legitimately don't have interest in the track days, all the same as how I have no interest in my wife's purse and shoe's addiction. The buyers purchasing the Diesel edition Monster, I doubt that bike would even leave the city unless its for another coffee shop the bike could be parked out in front of. Polar opposite, one gent in town rides a street fighter and wouldn't imagine him self on a track because of " all the stupid gear". It's rather obvious I tried to talk some form of sense into him.. Some battles can not be won
4theloveofducati

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to general interest topics