Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

What they’re saying about the club display.

Post articles of general interest to docc members.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1

What they’re saying about the club display.

Postby Stephen W. » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:10 pm

GTA poster:
“The Ducati Club of Canada should get special recognition for an enormous piece of prime real estate with no display (a track bike and one other under a cover? ), a sad pop out sign and no one representing. An unmanned booth at a major event?”

Former DOCC member:
“It’s an embarrassment!”

GTA poster:
“Of everything I saw at the show today, this (DOCC display) was the thing that really caught my eye. Lots of space and only 2 bikes displayed.”

DOCC display participant:
“The DOCC club participation sucks. Sorry to disappoint anyone wishing to see more.”

Major contributing DOCC member:
“Is this club even viable?”
the Dreamer (a.k.a. Dreamin' Stephen)
Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.
2013 MV Agusta 675 F3, 1998 900 SS FE (bi posto)
Stephen W.

Re: What they’re saying about the club display.

Postby Jeff Morrow » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Well I was there on Saturday and my initial reaction was shock and then I was disappointed in myself for not bringing a bike or two. What usually is a stellar display of Italian motorcycles and a club area full of familiar smiling faces was threadbare to say the least. The two bikes that were there did get lots of attention, Darren's license plate mount and The Muffin did spark a bit of conversation. Darren, Jeremy, Rick and Gooch were doing a great job manning the display, answering questions and representing the club. I'm not sure what if anything had changed from previous years but I really hope that this was just an anomaly. I do think that the club is still viable but I guess that depends on us.
DOCC 830
Ride hard, take no prisoners
Jeff Morrow

Postby The Goochman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:25 pm

Steve,

Before you come down too hard on the club, one must ask about the other 13 bikes that were promised and did not show. Surely at least some of them could have made it as they said they would.

Personally, I am sorry that I was not able to bring bikes this year. I had a personal commitment which would have required three - 6 hour round trips to Toronto if I had committed to bringing bikes. Seeing the display on Saturday, I am wishing that I had made the extra effort. (For the record, 3 of last year's 5 bikes were mine.)

What I don't understand is with all of the members that live in the Toronto area, why does it seem like it is the people from out of town who always seem to have bikes at the show?

I feel sorry for Darren. He put a lot of effort into getting things together for the show, and this was the result. Yes, a major embarrassment.

Dave G
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby DucaRay » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:05 pm

I was at the show today and dropped by. Yes it was pretty empty but understandable considering the weather and access to a covered trailer could be challenging for some...

I'm a newb member and I'm eager to help out any way I can if the club is there for the spring show.
DucaRay

Postby Stephen W. » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:02 pm

Dave, the “club” includes the owners of those 13 missing motorcycles. It also includes the other officers who should have known that this type of situation was likely to happen, again. Especially after changing the AGM date and location. But more importantly, it includes all those members who only ever take and never give back.
You, (as does Darren), have nothing to be sorry about. The wife use to give me shit for getting down on myself for not doing more when in fact we went over and above time and again.
The GTA members have always been a puzzle. Even years when the weather was warm, clear and dry it was like pulling teeth to get members to bring out their bikes. Several times someone ended up going out to pick up and then take back some local bikes.
What’s even more upsetting is that the DOCC has been doing this show for decades. It should not be a surprise to anyone that the club needs bikes to display.
Just as frustrating is that no one is thinking ahead or thinking on their feet. We had problems in the past when bikes didn’t show for one reason or another. Eric would go and talk with Bar and we’d get a couple of Bars Ducatis. During the years when the manufacturers were still involved Kevin Davis or Steve Hicks would supply a bike or two. I remember one year having the then brand new 999 sans body work up on one of those alloy stands.
I understand that things happen whether it’s weather, closed roads or parts not arriving on time. Somehow we managed to deal with things like that and won awards for our displays in the process.
I don’t understand this new club where people don’t think it matters if they meet their obligations or blow them off.
Stephen W.

Postby old red dog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:50 am

Thank You Dave , I appreciate your efforts! I read above that there could be less bitchin' and maybe one more bike at the show ! My Simone has attended track days! Nov.7 , 2013 She was "doored on her bycicle . result was 8 fractures and Her tail bone was broke Off ! She was thrown into traffic and hit by another car. Nov. 28 2013 , sister Helen did brain surgery , currently 2 rad. treatments ,and started oral chemo last night . I pray for her ! Dec. 13 ,2013 Molly McDermott passed away in a car accident . We could Bitch or hope for a better 2014 ! Let's show up at the track , or anywhere . Burn a burger and be with ... G
old red dog

Postby Stephen W. » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:31 am

Gerry, so very sorry to read of your families troubles. Our thoughts and prays go out to all the McDermott family & friends at this time.
Thank you for posting this. The majority of the membership (myself included) had no way of knowing and this explains some things. Like, why the AGM, had to change. This also highlights the need for better communications because life changing events, (such as those in your post) can have far reaching effects as seen at this years Super Show Display. I'm firmly convinced that at least some of the missing bikes, (and therefore people to man the booth on the Friday) were due to the owners not thinking it worth their trouble to attend.
Last edited by Stephen W. on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen W.

Postby Jeff Morrow » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:22 am

Hi Gerry,
Please know that Anne Marie and I thinking of you and your family during these difficult times.

Jeff and Anne Marie
DOCC 830
Ride hard, take no prisoners
Jeff Morrow

Postby The Goochman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:53 pm

Gerry,

Words cannot express my feelings. My heart goes out to you and yours.

David Gooch
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to general interest topics