Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

The current position of the DOCC

Post articles of general interest to docc members.
40 posts • Page 2 of 31, 2, 3

Re: The current position of the DOCC

Postby chris fournier » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:09 pm

I understand where the current posters in this thread are coming from. If you took a look at their demographics and behaviour I think that you would agree that they are all cut from the same cloth. The ralley cry in this thread is exactly the same as in other threads of this vein, started by members who are again cut from this same cloth.

"Ridership is down, doesn't anyone care? Our club may be in jeopardy. We must include others, cast a broader net..."

I agree that the DOCC is facing some pretty serious challenges. I see these challenges present themselves on the showroom floor of a Ducati dealership every day.

And before I go on let me say this, I haven't paid my dues currently because I don't ride with the club at present, I don't even have a working track bike. My last two have been Ducatis.

What are the reasons for this clubs current malaise? I think first we really have to be honest about what this club is about.

DOCC. Pretty self explanitory. Yes. But this club operates like Ducati owners from 1950 to 1993. In my opinion the root cause of the trouble is that this is not the DOCOTC - Ducati Owners Club of Today Canada. Relevance.

I don't think that DOCOTC would be the correct rebranding of this club just as I am sure that the European Sportbike Club of Canada moniker would nothing further for ridership.

Cast a wider net. Over whom? I think that this is not the place to start if you are hoping to address the future viability of this club. I think that the place to start is with truly defining what this club has been and is currently about.

I'd suggest that this is the Ducati TRACK/PERFORMANCE Riders Club of Canada and we are open to other brands to keep our Ralleys going. There is no shame in this but it is critical to be honest about what this club is really about - track riding Dcuati motorcycles. You can tell me that this is not the case but be honest. How much effort goes into designing, promoting, and hosting track ralleys compared to any other activity undertaken by this club? If you took away the track you'd have a website frequented even less that it currently is and maybe a meeting a couple of times a year by 25 or less people.

I am not being critical of who we really are but I am about to ask you to be honest about it. If you want to "fix" the DOCC you simply must be honest about who we are.

I suggest that most of the threads in this vein are never going to solve a single club issue because the premise is completely wrong. You are trying to save a club that does not in reality exist. This is not an Owners Club, it's a Performance Riders Club (insert whatever brand you like it won't matter). If you don't recognize this you will never actually solve the problem of dwindling membership and participation in Ralleys and you won't solve the problem for two reasons: one is that you are not being honest, this is a track riding organization not simply an owners organization and two, Ducati owners of present are not track riders - you are trying to save your track days guys. Simple as that. And I should add you are hoping to save your track days on the backs of all the other Ducati owners.

I get it. But here's the thing, 98% of the other Ducati owners don't give a shit about track days. Hell, they don't even want a Ducati Supersport bike. Uh oh.

And here's where the WIDER NET talk misses the mark, the situation is the same for ALL of the other brands, European or otherwise. Sport bikes are not in vogue today, not a bit. I'd love to blab on about why I think that this is so but that is for another thread.

You can cast as wide a net as you want and you are still casting over sterile water, the fish are gone.

I watch this every day on the showroom floor. Sportbikes are out. Streetbikes are in.

So here is what I think is the actual crux of the matter and if you can sort this out you will be gold.

HOW DO YOU APPEAL TO TODAYS DUCATI OWNERS, OFFER THEM MEMBERSHIP IN A CLUB THAT INTERESTS THEM AND MEETS THEIR NEEDS AND IN DOING SO INCREASES YOUR MEMBERSHIP AND WITH THIS ADDED REVENUE ALLOWS YOU TO CONTINUE TO RUN TRACK DAYS FOR THE RELATIVELY SMALL NUMBER OF DUCATI OWNERS WHO LIKE TO RIDE THEIR BIKE AT THE TRACK?

DUCATI = EUROPEAN.

And to complicate things further please note that the current Ducati purchaser knows and cares NOTHING about Ducati's rich racing history and accomplishments.

I fully expect that I will have to defend and flesh out the above, I am simply stopping here because I think that the next posts from others will move this forward and I have blown blustery for long enough.
chris fournier

Postby vfong » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:10 am

I am guilty also of not logging in on a regular basis, but only if I needed info such as track dates or re- check regulations or in search of a part or selling one. On this occasion, it was to check if track dates are posted. To get more interest and to build more enthusiasm, couldn't special events and club business issues that require imput be broadcasted to the entire membership. It could be opened within the web site and generate traffic to other pages. Create a convenient share with a friend button on all main pages. If I saw those coming to me on a regular basis, I know there is life at docc.
The newsletter format last yr was great, to make it more powerful, link it into the web site, get advertisers from all brands involved.

Regarding the track format and check in process, it's a revelation. Thanks to all involved but I have one beef.. And that is with the huge decrepency in rider speed or skill level. More so last yr or two, it's getting ridiculous not only with the speed differential but also skill level. This was not the case three or four yrs ago. And great speed doesn't mean good skill. I can only speak for the intermediate grp. When brought to the attention of Jennifer last summer, she agrees but the 'officials/marshalls' don't want to upset long time members or friends. This doesn't hold water, it puts both riders in danger , and you are letting your friends get into trouble. This a serious issue that needs to be observed . :o
vfong

Postby Flash » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:47 pm

I agree with Chris, Just browse through the curret cycle mags. Every company has 10 different
models of adventure, naked and touring bikes, and the odd new release of entry sport bike.
Hopefully with declining membership the docc won,t be come a club for the welloff and famous.
Flash

Postby gordo14 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:03 pm

Hello to DOCC and this is the first post I have had other than 2 classifieds. I will try to keep short but am willing to meet to discuss further. I feel comments are great and never is there a wrong comment. A motorcycle club is much like owning a motorcycle, motorcycles require regular maintenance and some time major repairs. I feel DOCC may require some repairs. I have participated in many clubs, all have had issues with decline or increase in participation. Example the local GWRRA (Gold Wing Road Riders Association) five years ago had a membership of over 130 and now lucky to have 30. The club allows all makes of bikes to participate in events now, but events always associated to GWRRA. Membership is starting to build again.

Todays riders are not buying new motorcycles to put on a race tracks. Ducati owners are riding because they like Ducati, not track days nor history of Ducati.

The following are a few thoughts I have and mentioned to some DOCC members.

1. Work on creating a Ducati Owners Club with track days, not a track day club.
2. Allow other makes to join DOCC but a Ducati owner receives something that others make owners will not.
3. Have an owner and/or track day participant membership.
4. Create ride events for all owners. Example have ride to Part Stanley, bar on the beach has motorcycle parking and have a meeting place for riders to meet. Give prizes away, 50/50 draw for charity and special prizes for selected Ducati owners.
5. An owners ride event once a month from May to September.
6. Promote track days at dealerships, and owner events.
7. Clubs today do short one to three hour rides with social activity at the beginning or end of ride.
8. Track day to the average owner can be intimidating.
9. Create regular newsletter for DOCC members, active website and facebook.
10. First year owner membership could be paid by dealer when they sell a new ducati.
11. Events that cater to all styles of Ducatis not just sport bikes.

I will stop here but am willing to become more active and volunteer to help where I can.

I realize my comments maybe boring for current old school DOCC members but our industry is changing. Does DOCC want to stay as a track day club or be an owners club?

I can be reached at 519-455-3840 ext 235. Thank you Gord Inglis
gordo14

Postby huit » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:51 am

Gord, great to see you post!
There is hope for the DOCC.
Paul
huit

Postby gordo14 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:23 am

where does DOCC go from here? Is there interest in discussing the future of DOCC?
gordo14

Postby fmcd92 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:25 pm

We do classic/vintage/2v Ducati
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

Postby fmcd92 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:26 am

To offer an update to my above post my conversation with Gord was probably the most constructive session Ive had the pleasure to participate in for some time! The facts of non-track riders as the significant owner segment it really is and the varied needs and interests of them constitutes a sizeable challenge for DOCC to meaningfully address so when Gord suggests he already has a solid plan well, looks good to me.

Details to follow, the usual disclaimer about due diligence, etc, etc but this will be good!

With thanks,

FMcD
We do classic/vintage/2v Ducati
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

Postby paul w » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:50 am

Thanks Gord and Fran for taking the time and looking for some new opportunities.
paul w

Postby Enzotoys » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:27 pm

Very interesting thread and perhaps the most important for this Club future. I love to participate in track days, even if I don't go very often. But, I realize that most new Ducati owners are not interested in track days because one or all of the following reasons :
- superbikes are less popular (bikers want to buy streetable bikes, not superbikes that become happy only when exceeding speed limits);
- track days are expensive and most young bikers simply cannot afford DOCC track days (add on this the risk of havind to repair a costly bike after a fall);
- good tracks are often far away from home ( not every one is willing to drive 6 to 8 hours with a bike on a trailer to go to Callabogie or Mosport).

It is obvious that the DOCC must organize rides and meetings (while maintaining track days) if we want this club to survive the ongoning drop of membership.
I don't think a name change is necessary. New Ducati have been selling very well during the last years and it seems to go on.
It is also obvious that more people will have to get involved if we what this club to grow. I don't blame anybody because I have done nothing on my side except trying to convince some Quebec Ducati owners to join my son and me going to track days.
Another final remark : this website is very slow in comparaison to other discussion forum. It may discourage some members to frequently visit it !
This only my 2 cents.

Gilles Lachance
Quebec City
Enzotoys

Postby babyduc » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:59 pm

I am a relatively new member here but a Ducati fan without bottomless pockets. As several others have mentioned, not all owners can afford to head to the track with their bike or even have a separate track bike. This does not make these riders any less worthy of membership in the DOCC, in my opinion. I like what Gord had to say with regards to more frequent local club rides where one can meet other riders. I now live in London and even though there are many Ducatis around, I rarely encounter them while riding. It would be nice to meet up more often for some rides where we could hunt down some twisty roads.
babyduc

Postby Rick48059 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:55 pm

I truly feel the reduction in registered entrants to docc events is due to a poor Canadian economy and financial constraints by a large portion of riders. Lets admit that this is not an inexpensive hobby. You can throw the net as far as you want, but look at spotrtbiketracktime.com They to are struggling, and they accept all brands of motorcycles. I personally have no complaints at all about how our club is operated. I would however object to leaving a stellar track like Calabogie in favor of Grattan. A track with worn out asphalt and crap facilities. Is it realistic to expect a guest speaker to radically increase attendance at an event? I don't think so, just a bonus for those who were going to attend anyway. At the end of the day, this is a niche sport and in bad economic times the marginal attendees will not show up. The economy is beyond our control. It is true that ducati motorycles are expensive but again with more disposable income people are more willing to risk their machinery on a racetrack. Don't panic, this too shall pass. Its just fine the way it is! See you at the track with my Honda. (kidding!)
Rick48059

Postby huit » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:50 pm

Very pleased to see people getting involved!
More please
huit

Postby The Goochman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:28 pm

I think one of the things that really cut back on Rally attendance was going from 4 groups to 3.

People are complaining about costs, and rightfully so. But if you go back to 4 groups, you can get 100 people to share the cost that 75 have to pay now. There is a significant cost reduction.

But then there will be the complaints of not getting enough track time. Instead of 20 minute sessions, they will probably go back to 15 minutes a session. (valid point)

But cost is not the real problem here. Average riders on average bikes are neither too fast or too slow. The Green group scares them and the Blue group is beneath their dignity. That leaves Yellow. The Yellow group fills first. Once that is full, it leaves Green (too fast) or Blue (too embarrassing) so they don't come. In the days of 4 groups, we could handle twice as many "average" riders. They didn't have to make the choice. Now they don't come at all.

Going back to 4 groups might just be an idea to consider. It may not be popular with some, but if it brings out more riders, it might be a worthwhile sacrifice.

I also think the 2-up class should be brought back. It was something that was unique to our rallies. (I know, it cuts into your track time.) It could use more participants, but that could change if it was marketed better.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave G
Happy in Blue!
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby Chris LaPrade » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:42 pm

All points valid, Very little members visit this site including myself... I like the FB route, that's where all the new members will be, but the FB page sucks, hard to use and not user friendly, would love for that to change. but do receive all posted items.. so

Point on contact info : we may not have phone numbers but we have email addresses on all members, lets use that to contact, everyone receives their email, not everyone looks on here.. no one other then the few that look on here are reading all these posts, lets send out emails, and contact members, and past member, find out why they are not coming out, work from those comments. Yes bring back or introduce a monthly membership email, with good content, or useable info, or simply an invite to have people go onto this site, (http://www.docc) sign in , and get involved in topics or just to read postings.

2up in my option needs to be reintroduced its a great service that is not offered with any other group, and has been for so many years. My 2up bike is for sale right now because of it, and if it gets introduced again and the bike is gone I will very upset, I would keep it just for that reason. I would like to have this request put on the top of the list to bring 2up back, cause once its gone , its gone. If anything the option to run with a passenger in one of our other groups will do. and prefer. The bike is also used to pick up riders off the track as to not shut the track down for long periods of time. My 2 up passenger is a club volunteer as well, and she loves going out on the track, and likes the fact her involvement doesn't go unnoticed, and is appreciated. 2up is just one way. and I know by the other 2up passengers that volunteer as well.

A great point was made in regards to economy, and other groups suffering, not sure what can be done other then waiting, it will turn around. I have to wonder with groups like soar, vrra for example are having great success. yes they are racing groups, but money seems to be found by those members.

I personally like how our events are run, I don't have an issue with the process. Have not experienced others events, but you will always get those people who will complain about something.

Not sure rebranding will make any difference, but could change the idea we are a Ducati only event. I personally think we should proceed going forward to brand us as a track day group, no brands specific in the name, not even euro. Lets change with the time, if all brand groups are having issues what do you think will happen to us??? think about it. "US" as members we will in our hearts know what we are, with the benefit of new members along for the ride.

Advertising in dealerships in not the answer, they don't care.

the 4 groups are hard to do if we don't have the people to fill it up. unless we do a fast yellow, and a faster yellow!! of a red group, whatever you want to call it, but then 15 min sessions you piss a lot of people off.. so again, going backwards.

I could go on and on, but it will be like its always been talk.. talk, and no action. keep it simple and they will come!!!!! This starts at the executive level as that's where all the decisions are made. Get info from the past and present members, and take from what the answers you get.. after all they are the ones putting out the money , and supporting this Group, (Not club) just say`n.... 2 cents.

Chris..
Never lost, just out riding...
Chris
Chris LaPrade

PreviousNext

40 posts • Page 2 of 31, 2, 3

Return to general interest topics