Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

The current position of the DOCC

Post articles of general interest to docc members.
40 posts • Page 3 of 31, 2, 3

Re: The current position of the DOCC

Postby Chris LaPrade » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:59 pm

Love how people post things on here, saying what we need / should do with our club.. Don't pay their membership fee, or even support our track events, yet have things to say about what would make a great club, and what we need to do to improve something that they don't even attend. just say`n!!!!
Never lost, just out riding...
Chris
Chris LaPrade

Postby chris fournier » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:44 pm

It's good to see that there have been some responses on this thread.

I take no offence to Chris L's observation that people are posting who are not paid up and are not currently riding at the track with the DOCC. I wanted to be very clear about my status before I got the keyboard warmed up.

I would just like to make a few comments about what I have read and they are simply my opinions not gospel truths.

I do not think that Ralley attendance has been much affected by economics but rather it is the bike buyers demographics that are pinching Ralleys. Sport bikes are simply not being sold in the numbers that they were in the past, not by a long shot. Less bikes equals less riders.

I think that there is a chicken and egg thing going on regarding the comment made that advertising at dealerships is a waste because dealers don't care. In my opinion as a person who has worked at a Ducati dealership for almost five years I think that dealerships are not terribly invested in the DOCC because the club membership is simply not a Ducati dealership client for the most part. I truly think that if there was a strong positive correlation between DOCC membership and Dealership clientele that there would be greater synergy.

The way forward?

I agree that road rides will appeal. I think that Vintage displays, show and shines, Tech seminars, personality appearances, and social events all appeal. It's my opinion and I will say right off the bat that the effort and $$$ required to pull it off would be monumental but I think that to grow the DOCC and keep it hanging together as a cohesive club that Ralleys would need to be the time and place to put all of this together. One event with something for everyone - this would create a strong feeling of community, knitting people with disparate motorbike interests together under the Ducati Marque.

Chris
chris fournier

Postby Ric » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:06 pm

Being away from the clubs trackdays and not paying dues for the last couple of seasons,i wasn't going to add my two cents to this open forum discussion.But because this isn't in the "members only" forum,i don't have any issues with posting.My trackbike will stay parked because it has become way too expensive for me to participate in the present economy.
The club hasn't done anything grossly wrong in the past.A few small changes could make a few people more happy.But to bring in the new breed of streetbike owners,things will have to change.
In the meantime,i'll be very happy to spend less than $50 a day in a trial competition versus $400 per day at the track.
Ride happy and safe my friends.You'll probably see the Muffin at the track someday.Just not with me on it.
Cheers, Ric.
I'll meet ya in the bar.
Ric Waterloo #944
Ric

Postby npinto » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi Guys

The engineer in me says if something is broke look back to when is wasn't broke and compare the differences. Well, when I joined back in 1994, there was three track day options, Mosport, Gratan and Mid Ohio, I believe, three or so road rides, Alex's, Bill and Teds (not sure if it was Teds) and Barry's
Times were great, Mosport and Gratan were sell outs, and road rides were fast and fun, and when there are three Britons in North America and two of them are at a DOCC track day you knew it was special.
Now is now, I do not live in Mississaga any more (Essex Vermont) we have a million choices for track days and if we road at the same speed on the road as we did back in day we be facing $10,000 fines (the 50 over law is still in effect right?)
I'm more of make your own tracks kind a guy, and I don't the think the question is what is wrong with the club, but what do you want the club to be?
Me? I like the club the way it is. I'm a fan of the track days, people are great and they are run well (if a can make it to Mosport this year it will be 21 years straigh) I think the DOCC for the name of the club is fine but European Ralley should be used for the track days (they always been that way anyway). Because I live in Vermont, road rides or bike nights in Southern Ontario wouldn't really interest me. But I do meet up with BMW guys at Frank's BMW in Essex every Saturday for the breakfest ride, and I do see how this kind of event could possible attrack other members.
So, what do we want the club to be?

Noel
PS, Fran, do we have any PDFs advertising our trackdays? If we do send me one and I will put them on the board at Frank's BMW and Ducati Vermont
npinto

Postby fmcd92 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:38 pm

Noel,

Brad M did up an excellent suite of 4 so let me do an email copy to you if I can find your email address...

fmcd@storm.ca

Thank you,

Fran
We do classic/vintage/2v Ducati
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

Postby npinto » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:00 am

npinto

Postby fmcd92 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:32 am

Done. Thanks Noel. This is the current position of the DOCC, it's nothing more than the sum of the parts and everyone who takes out a membership is an equal part. Sure, trackdays and road rides are everywhere but there's only one DOCC mob!

Help your club get the word out about 2015 events and activities!

FM
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

docc

Postby Chris LaPrade » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:16 pm

docc
Last edited by Chris LaPrade on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never lost, just out riding...
Chris
Chris LaPrade

Postby Steinke » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:11 pm

Also was not aware the club was putting up a display at this weekends bike show. I would have been more than happy to have brought up my Aprilia RS250 as I did for the January show.
Also want to throw out a open invitation to the board members that if there is anything in the future I can do to support the club please dont hesitate to ask, can't gaurantee anything but I will try. ie track day support, bike shows, whatever. I was on the board for my local MX club a number of years ago and know what it takes behind the scenes to make things tick. My email address is rzu4eah@hotmail.com

A hundred people taking one step is better than oner person taking a hundred - or something like that, you know what I mean.

John Steinke #72
Steinke

Postby fmcd92 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:35 am

Thanks John, email sent...
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

Previous

40 posts • Page 3 of 31, 2, 3

Return to general interest topics