Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

M900 Problems with Shifting

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

M900 Problems with Shifting

Postby alpharep » Wed May 05, 2010 2:19 am

I have a 96 Monster 900. Recently it has been getting more difficult to shift into 1st and it will regularly slip out of 1st when I am riding and back into neutral. Doesn't seem to do that in other gears. I am not mechanical so I wouldn't attempt the repairs myself but wondering what might be the problem. Any ideas?
alpharep

Re: M900 Problems with Shifting

Postby ducati588 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:21 pm

On the back side of the engine there is a large nut located opposite side of the chain. If this has backed off it could be causing your problem. Just tighten this up and see how it feels. If this isn't your problem you may have something wrong with the selector fork inside the left engine cover. Sometimes a tine breaks off, or it is out of adjustment. These selector fork assemblies can be had on eBay of not much cash - no idea what a dealer would charge.

Good luck.

Rob
Rob Marshall - '95 Ducati 900SS
- '85 Cagiva 650 Allazurra
ducati588

Re: M900 Problems with Shifting

Postby alpharep » Fri May 07, 2010 10:23 am

Thanks Rob! I will look into that. I am hoping it is something simple and inexpensive. We recently moved to BC and I've discovered that the local bike mechanics won't touch a Duc. I have to take it to Kelowna - about 1 1/4 hrs away for the nearest Ducati dealer.
alpharep

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech