Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Riding in Northern Nova Scotia

New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Riding in Northern Nova Scotia

Postby Desmoquattro » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:45 pm

Some of my favourite routes from my days at STFX in Antigonish.

The 'Trail -

Top of the list is, of course, the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton with some of the best twisties in Canada. It's treacherous in some places though, and isn't forgiving if you make a mistake. Take your time and enjoy the scenery

The Trail starts at Margaree Forks on Route 19, and loops around through the Cape Breton Highlands National Park. Follow Route 19 the entire way and it will take you down to Baddeck, a nice spot to stay overnight. There are lots of great spots to stop along the way, too many to list. Be sure to take your time and stop along the lookouts. The best riding starts in the National Park, and continues along the 19 most of the way to Baddeck. Always be on the lookout for sand, gravel, and RVs and tour buses over the centerline.

Pics-
http://www.piczo.com/bikerjason2?g=2997827&cr=1&rfm=y

Cape George -

Located north of Antigonish, Cape George is the "mini Cabot Trail" that's not very well known outside of the local area. It's quiet and scenic, and fairly short, with a few areas of really nice twisties. Take Route 337 North from Antigonish and drive around the horn of the Cape, then take 245 South to get back to Antigonish, or the opposite. Nearby on Route 245 West is Arisaig, a nice scenic area that looks out over the northern coast of Nova Scotia. Not much for riding, but it's a nice area to stop and enjoy the scenery.

Long way to Halifax -

If you are like me and hate the highway, you'll do anything to take the backroads, even if it doubles the travel time. This is how I discovered this route, which can take you from the Nova Scotia border to Halifax or to Cape Breton. I did this ride almost monthly to get from Antigonish to Moncton (NB).

When you reach Amherst, one of the first cities across the border, go through town and take Route 6 towards Pugwash. This route will take you along the northern coast of Nova Scotia.

If you are heading to Cape Breton, stay on Route 6 until you reach Pictou, where you can go onto route 106 to join the Transcanada to Cape Breton.

If you are heading to Halifax, you will come to a fork in the road in Tatamagouche. Here you can take Route 311 South, which will take you to Truro. At Truro you take Route 2 South, which will run parallel to the 102 highway and take you just outside Halifax (go onto the 102 just after Enfield to get to Halifax). Route 2 happens to run through Schubenacadie, home of the Atlantic Motorsports Park, part of the Canadian Superbike Championship route.

(Alternately, you can go just past Tatamagouche on Route 6 and take Route 326 South. This eventually joins the 311, it's just another way of going south through the mountains on your way to Truro)[/url]
Desmoquattro

Postby petzi » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:42 pm

great report and descriptions :!: thanks a lot for the details and links :!: :!:

cheers,
petzi

Thanks

Postby Battistella » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:56 pm

Thanks,

I am looking for August rides in NS and this might just fit the bill perfectly!

David
Battistella

Postby Stephanie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:18 pm

We did the Cabot trail last September. A few things to keep in mind - even in September it was full of tourists. If I ever go again I'll get a motel at the start of the trail, get up very early and ride it before everyone else is awake. Standing at a lookout listening to the roar of diesels from tour buses and motorhomes is not very relaxing or pleasant. And there was a LOT of traffic. Spectacular scenery, worth the trip, but don't expect it to be the greatest 'ride' of your life.

Stephanie
Stephanie

Postby Jonny Cannon » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:35 pm

Best place to stay is in Baddeck. Lots of hotels, an LCBO, restaurants, cafes, laundromat, hardware store, etc. It's the last big town before the Cabot. I ride the Cabot every year, and take all the routes indicated.

Indeed, I'd recommend taking the Sunrise Trail (Hwy 6) from Amherst across Northern Nova Scotia. The Trans-Canada is boring as hell. The highway is nice, however, from Edmundston, New Brunswick, to around Moncton. There is also a "tourist route" along the river that parallels the highway.

I've taken the southern route in Nova Scotia, also. The condition of the highway from Halifax up to Cape Breton Island is terrible, but very scenic. Be sure to stop in at Sheet Harbour. It's also the first place open during the off-season you'll reach after leaving Halifax. There's a gas station, a liquor store, and a single motel. The owner is very nice, and your bike can park right outside your room. there's also a nice little overhang around the outside of the hotel so you can sit outside even if it's raining. Finally, in all of my travels, I think the hotel in Sheet Harbour serves the bet clam chowder of all.

I usually am out there either the first week of July or the last week in June. There are no tourists then, and prices are more favourable. I'll be out there at the end of June again this year.

I have found the condition of the Trail itself deteriorating over the past 5 years. Of course, it's best inside the provincial park, because that's where all the government funding goes. I can't possibly imagine how anyone could have wanted to hold the Isle of Man race there this year, since the road is pretty lousy in spots. And yes, do be careful - not every cliff is protected by a guardrail.

One thing I can't stress enough is to dress appropriately. I have left Baddeck in the morning, where it was 19 degrees C, and then hit sleet at 0 degrees coming down from North Mountain, 150 kms away. People look at me strangely when I tell them to bring long underwear for a summer trip, but that's the one thing I pack first.

Well, that and rain gear.

Here's some pics from a trip I took a while back:

http://www.reservoirdogs.ca/eastern04.htm

http://www.reservoirdogs.ca/album/thumb ... hp?album=7

I like it out there because there's nothing to do, and the locals are very courteous and friendly.

Good luck - anyone going out there at the end of June I should watch for? I'll actually be on my Deuce. I don't think my back and knees could handle the 748.

Cannon
TRAMPLE THE WEAK. HURDLE THE DEAD.
Jonny Cannon

Postby Stephanie » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:45 pm

I did the trail on my SS. But I'm a bit of a masochist.

A good portion of the section at the start of the western end was being repaved when we went.

The northern route from NB to the trail is wonderful, I really enjoyed that part of the ride. And the TransCanada from Edmunston towards Grand Falls is spectacular, the road now goes up and down massive hills giving you a fabulous view of the scenery. But DON"T take 108 from Plaster Rock to Miramichi, that is the longest, bumpiest most boring piece of road I've ever traveled on. No gas stations, no traffic and no scenery, you just dodge the bumps and hope you don't get thrown off the bike.

Stephanie
Stephanie

Postby Desmoquattro » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:13 pm

Bah, you're all wusses. I rode my 916 from Montreal to the 'Trail, did it a few times, then rode back. I covered nearly 5000 kms in week and a half. And it was well worth it to use the SBK on the 'Trail.
Desmoquattro

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Maritimes Region