Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

HRM Group Ride - Peggy's Cove - 20 Aug 08 (?)

New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland
35 posts • Page 1 of 31, 2, 3

HRM Group Ride - Peggy's Cove - 20 Aug 08 (?)

Postby Rory » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:43 am

Hey all, Mark's away this week, so I'm going to try and arrange a group ride to replace the rained-out one last week.

The original plan was for a Peggy's cove run, so unless there is a better idea, we'll probably go with that. Meetup would be around 6:15 or so.

Need to know if Wednesday is a good day or not. At the moment, no rain forecast for Wed, Thur or Fri, but of course, who knows what we'll get by then.

If folks can reply on here or by e-mail to: rafuse.r@gmail.com I can figure out what day is best for the majority. Route details, starting spot and all that will follow - suggestions welcome.

Hoping to get some good pics of a nice bike line-up for the DOCC 2009 calendar that's being prepared - represent our end of the country!
Rory

Postby El Nino » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:24 pm

Thanks for taking on the baton Rory! I can make Wed & Fri, although Wed would be best.

Happy with the route and even more happy with the weather forecast for the week.

Anybody near Truro who would like to travel down with me?

Hope to see you next week.
Angel
El Nino

Postby kvido7 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:35 pm

I'm in. :roll:
07 monster S4R, if you're not riding, you're wasting time
kvido7

Postby Rory » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:03 pm

So far, 6 people for Wed already, including me, Joe, Angel, Dan R., Mike S. and Bobbi-Jo...

Looking good, and Mike is hoping to do a recon pass of the route in advance of our ride, to spot some good photo locations.

So, polish the bikes and limber up the cameras!
Rory

Postby ko848 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:00 pm

As I already told Rory, I heard a nasty Rumor that the Restaraunt that it at the lighthouse at Peggys Cove is charging 5$ to get into the parking lot and giving you a 5$ cupon for the restaurant...

But I think if we take a couple detours there might be a few good photo spots, I will know more tomorrow.....If the weather is nice.... I might just take the camera and get some pics of the bike..you know, just to make sure!!!
08 848
08 1100S
07 S2R 800
ko848

Postby Gerbz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:05 pm

I'm in.
Let me know a when and where :D
Colin
1996 M900
2006 CRF 108 RR
Gerbz

Postby Rory » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:44 am

Sounds good, all...

Count is at 7 people now, start point will be Bayer's Lake Tim Hortons (map to follow this evening). Start time will be 6:15pm Wed 20 Aug

Dan knows a good sections of the road he's going to show us and Mike is scouting out (free) photo locations.

More as it comes in...
Rory

Postby AndrewNS » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:19 am

I'll be there if the weather's good. Hey, there's a new Tim's to explore!
'82 CB750F
'86 VFR750F
'06 S2R 1000
AndrewNS

Postby Maritimer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:53 am

I'm in. I actually scouted the route yesterday. There's gravel in a few of the tighter turns coming into Shad Bay from Peggy's Cove. Other than that it looks pretty good.

See you then

Alan
Alan
Port Hawkesbury, NS
2007 800SS
...dreaming about carbon fiber....
Maritimer

Postby Rory » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:02 pm

Sounds like 9! Alan and Mitch - glad you can make it.

Link to the Start point is located below. For those that have been out there, looks like it's past Freedom Cycle and left onto Lakelands Blvd to get to the Tims.

Feel free to correct me if that's inaccurate....
Rory

Postby ko848 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:25 am

The gravel on that road is hit or miss, so if the plan is to stay between 70-100, I dont think we will have an issue. It all depends on how many tour busses have gone through. With all the tight corners, they like to dig up the shoulders and dump it across the blind corners.

There was a bike iin the rhubarb the other day, so we dont want that to happen on Wednesday. I have done a few group rides out there, not with the DOCC, but we always spread our selves out, what way if someone has to grab a fist full of brakes, we wont have a rear ender....

I looked for a few photo op spots, but alot of the great water view spots are all on private land,

Alan (Maritimer)...
Did you see any good photo spots... maybe we should do some more recon Wednesday afternoon? (excuse to go for a ride) I took a ride on Indian Point Rd, at the end where it loops around to come back, there is a spot where we might get a couple good pics, with the Atlantic Ocean and a couple islands as a back drop.
08 848
08 1100S
07 S2R 800
ko848

Postby Stephanie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:28 am

You chaps should try to get a photo for the club calender! Ducati's at Peggy's Cove, very picturesque!

Stephanie
Stephanie

Postby Rory » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:39 am

Stephanie, our plan is indeed to try and get a good photo (or several candidates) for the calendar.

As an aside, if we don't find a good spot, we might want to try Alderney Landing in Dartmouth (some other night) and get a nice shot or two with the Halifax skyline in the background. Just a thought...

Just to add to what Mike was saying, the idea of these outings is not to encourage anything stupid. In fact, we set a common start and end point and then everyone just does their own thing in between, although coincidentally we might happen to be heading the same way at a particular moment in time...:)

Anyway, we'll keep it sane and safe. Thanks again to Alan and Mike for the condition update. I know a guy who dumped his bike out there this year
(Victory cruiser, I think) because they were all bunched up when something unexpected happened. So, like Mike says, best to space out a bit and allow everyone room to react.

All obvious stuff, but worth repeating. I'm stoked for tomorrow night!
Rory

Postby Stephanie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:57 am

Yes, I always wonder at the wisdom of those parades of cruisers I see, double file, bunched up together. I can only wonder at the domino effect if the first guy hits a bump and goes down, and they all end up in a tangled mess. There's a horrific video out on the internet of a bunch of bikes crossing a bridge in Moscow, having a huge pileup. Quite terrifying.

Stephanie
Stephanie

Postby Maritimer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:27 am

Alan
Port Hawkesbury, NS
2007 800SS
...dreaming about carbon fiber....
Maritimer

Next

35 posts • Page 1 of 31, 2, 3

Return to Maritimes Region