Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Steel tubing bending.

The docc defines "vintage" as all Ducatis' up to and including all models of the 750 F1.
20 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Steel tubing bending.

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:46 am

ERIC SUMMERS

Postby Paul J » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:03 pm

pj

'66 250 SCR
'72 Bonneville
Paul J

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:15 am

Hello Paul,
Just to clarify.Ram will make up the bends and pieces of the subframe if you can give him accurate diamensions.He does not fabricate frames.If you need top notch weldind of the conponent peices get in touch with Willie at Alumaweld in Pickering.(905)-683-5200.Willie is the best welder that I know.
Tnxs. Eric.
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby Paul J » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:51 am

Man! I'm going to owe you big time! :D

I understand. It's just the loop at the rear that somone cut off, so it should be no big deal. The frame is on the way to being stripped of everything, so I can take it down for him to cut and fit it, and Willie is on the way to work, no less!

So Many thanks for these two links, Eric: it's taken a load off for sure.

Regards,

pj
pj

'66 250 SCR
'72 Bonneville
Paul J

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:55 am

Hello Paul,
If you need any parts powder coated.There is aguy that I know just around the corner from my shop in Pickering.Great Guy ,small shop,we also have a club member in Cambridge area that does incredible coating.
Tnxs. Eric.
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby Paul J » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:35 pm

I don't think I can handle meeting all these new people that want my money!

Painting is a while away Eric - I also have the Bonnie to strip, paint and maybe sell next year, and I'm thinking that - having the equipment - I should do it myself, and both at the same time. Right now the time is being taken up stripping the scr, as it was (is still) a mess. I'll post a few pics on PhotoBucket in a day or so, and I love the engineering that's gone into this bike. My wife can't believe the difference in the casings after a cleanup and some polish.. I can sure understand the following.

Cheers,

(Edit) (i don't know whether it's frowned upon, (so tell me if it is) but here's a few pics I put up earlier on the Ducati.ms site:-

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread. ... 683&page=2
pj

'66 250 SCR
'72 Bonneville
Paul J

Postby darnold » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:40 pm

I wouldn't bother removing the paint. There is a place in Mississauga near the postal station that will clean and power coat the frame and swing arm for around $150.

Get all of the welding done first and in one week you can have a frame that's painted and ready to assemble.

-dan
darnold

Postby Paul J » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:18 pm

Dan - you've got to be kidding???? You can't even buy the paint for that price can you! I'll be darned.

I'm learning every day. I figured paint at around two-fifty - two-eighty, plus grit-blasting the old stuff off... probably four hundred bucks.. so - you are going to tell me/us who this company is, right? ;)

The way this thread is going - you know what comes next?... chrome... I was going to look into a small chrome-plating setup....... just for nuts, the points cover, etc.. then wheel-building (I think I should rebuild my own wheels) (unless, of course, someone knows someone in Ajax who will build a wheel for fifty bucks...) then upholstery.... then lighting...

Thanks, guys, this is great. It turning into a real nice hobby. :)
pj

'66 250 SCR
'72 Bonneville
Paul J

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:05 pm

Hello Paul,
For chrome plating you cannot beat Mayfair Plating at 96 Carlaw ave,Toronto. Chuck the owner is a totally straight up guy.he can handle any polishing and plating.Once again small shop ,great service.Phone #(416)461-4435.Tell him you were talking to Eric from The Electric Lift Truck Company.
Tnxs. eric.
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby darnold » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:37 am

Sure.

Byers-Bush & Jet Kote (905) 625-4334; 1300 Fewster Dr, Mississauga, ON, L4W1A4.

Go in the side door and ask for Maria. I have taken a least 10 frames there. Asked them to mask the swing arm bores and head set bores but not the threaded holes. Run a tap through the threads after painting. Keeps any rust from forming on the fasteners.

I used Mayfair Plating for some parts on my 69 desmo. They are excellent. Be prepared for a shock at the price of chrome plating.

-dan
darnold

Postby Paul J » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:15 am

Thanks Dan; Now a couple of real questions. I haven't received the manual yet, but have printed off a parts list off the net - the illustrations are not too bad to go from.

1). The swing-arm pivot looks to be a single tranverse tube running inside the lower frame cross-member. The cross-member is split at with two socket-head pinch bolts either side of the down-tube, being tightened to prevent side movement of the inner tube.
I believe that inner tube needs to be pushed out in order to remove the swing-arm. I've removed the two bolts (with heat), placed an equivalent-diameter socket -20mm or so) on the end of the tube and given it a pretty good whack with a copper lump hammer. There was no indication that the tube had any intention of allowing itself to be moved without being damaged..... Now - I would think this is the "preferred method" of removal, but maybe that tube is well rusted in and needs heat? Is this normal?

2). Having split the cases, removed the cluster (ok - it fell out all over the bench :roll: ), the clutch, etc., I need now to remove the alternator rotor.. How does this come off?? The drive gear was a no-brainer, but this looks as if it's pressed on - yes?

PS - Is there a 'photo gallery of all your bikes on this site? I'd sure like to see some. Also is there an active Ducati chapter - you know, with meetings, tours, show and tells - in this (GTA) area?
pj

'66 250 SCR
'72 Bonneville
Paul J

Postby Paul J » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:44 pm

Ok; 9:00 pm. Coupla more turns on the oxygen, a bigger wumper and the swingarm is off, with most bits scrubbed and ready for Ram to see, measure and make up the missing parts. Needs bushings, for sure.

As a newbie in rebuilding from a real basket case - it doesn't seem that it can ever look like the beautifully rebuilt bikes I see on the net. Do you ever feel this way about your projects? Dan says he's taken 10 frames for painting.. Man! That's a ton of work.

This one's pretty much stripped down now - and all over the place, with some bits clean and good, some bits that are unknown - like the head - haven't touched it yet - and other bits that look like junk... The wife sez it's a bloody mess. aaargh.. maybe I should just junk it all and buy a new bike instead..... :wink:

Oh well - tomorrow's another day.
pj

'66 250 SCR
'72 Bonneville
Paul J

Postby darnold » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:48 pm

It can be dirty in the beginning but they end up looking like this:

The flywheel is on a taper and you need a puller. There several different sizes of factory ducati pullers. If the cases are split you may be able to press the crank through the flywheel. Use some blocks under the half case.

Are you restoring the bike, building a race bike, or some kind of custom?
darnold

Postby Paul J » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:22 pm

Ni-i-i-i-ce machine, Dan. Is that kickstart cranked out a bit to clear the brake lever? I'm guessing the fenders are stainless?

I talked with DomiRacer today - no luck for a sleeve, and only a Monza piston at 1mm over, so I called Syd and talked to him for about ten - fifteen minutes. Finally bought a parts manual, a flywheel puller and he's "digging up" a piston and sleeve. He knows his stuff, apparently raced the Canadian circuit at one time, and appears to have lots of parts. I sure hope so.

Both slits across the swingarm bracket WERE WELDED shut at the bracket! I had to re-cut the darned things with a 4" inline circular saw with a cut-off wheel. :evil: mutter...mutter.

The frame is in pieces now, ready for the missing bits to be acquired or fabricated. When you quote their charge of $150 for clean and powder at Byers-Bush & Jet Kote - do you take the rear shock and fork spring covers, the kickstart, the stand, the footrests, the crankase guard - i.e. all the steel/cast parts that are separate components - all loose in a box with the frame and do they do it all for that price - or are those separate parts over and above the base frame? It seems very inexpensive.
pj

'66 250 SCR
'72 Bonneville
Paul J

Postby darnold » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:19 am

You will have ask Maria for a price. In my experience it was $150 for a Can-Am frame and swing arm.
darnold

Next

20 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Return to vintage ducati tech