Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Steel tubing bending.

The docc defines "vintage" as all Ducatis' up to and including all models of the 750 F1.
20 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Postby Paul J » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:54 pm

Thanks, Dan: talked to her yesterday: frame $175, plus $25 extra for about 12/13 bits and pieces. That's blasting and powder-coating the lot in black. Drop it off, and "it'll get done when that colour is being run".
pj

'66 250 SCR
'72 Bonneville
Paul J

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:37 pm

Hello Paul & Dan,
That's a great price for powdercoating and by the look of Dan's bikes they do good work.
Tnxs. Eric.
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby Paul J » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:28 pm

Well, guys, it's been a week or two. My wife and I insulated and sheeted our double garage all of last week, and the week before was spent on a "Ducati spending spree". Here's the results so far.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/ ... 400a3d.pbr

Best viewed in full screen mode.

My thanks go to you guys for your help and advice in getting started, and, as you can see the project is on its way. I got parts and shop manual, plus flywheel puller from Syd's. Maria's final price for blasting and powder-coating the twenty-odd parts was $210: the frame and most of the parts and a great deal of advice and help came from Henry at LaSalette, south of Brantford. DoCC member Chris Collins actually actually gave me half a frame (many thanks, Chris) - and I had it welded to the front half of my original frame, but then I had second thoughts about that, and so went ahead with a complete frame from Henry. Man! That guy's got SOME bikes! I could never have imagined seeing FOUR production Ducati racing machines in one spot in one day, but he has them, plus a number of other completely rebuilt machines that are in absolutely mint condition. Unbelievable. What a history this guy has. What skill. What guts.

Anyway - he has parts - lots of parts - almost everything that I needed he had in stock, either new or used. Two trips to his place was well worth the time spent. I had the sleeve pressed in by our local automotive jobber, along with taking two thou off the bigend for the oversized crankpin. Mike at Walridge is getting me a pair of Radaelli's and I'll have a shot at building them myself. The engine's all going together quite easily per the manual, although Dorothy's (wife) kitchen smells a bit funny.. kinda "oily", somehow.... and I'm sick of polishing aluminum... Oh - I forgot - the reason the original owner couldn't get it started... one rocker was missing... :lol:
pj

'66 250 SCR
'72 Bonneville
Paul J

Re: Steel tubing bending.

Postby Paul J » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:35 pm

.. and yesterday she was started for the first time! What a loverly sound! Just an open pipe..

Here's the original slideshow, plus the latest additions: I have yet to put the silver on the tank, and the rear light assembly is on it's way from Guzzino. Mike, at Walridge supplied the ss spokes and rims, Henry supplied the parts to build the SS1 - which turned out to be a very nice carb: I've seen other posts where it was swapped out in favour of a more modern carb, but I'm real happy with this one. Idles like a clock.
Anyway - I have to say thanks to those who have recommended the bits and pieces, hints, etc., and special thanks to Chris Collins for his emails, his interest and support.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/ ... =slideshow
pj

'66 250 SCR
'72 Bonneville
Paul J

Re: Steel tubing bending.

Postby Chris Collins » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:24 am

What a beauty you have there now Paul :!:

And thanks for the mench :wink:
Cheers,
Chris (& Sandie) Collins
DOCC #995