Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

My drum brakes = not boat anchors

The docc defines "vintage" as all Ducatis' up to and including all models of the 750 F1.
15 posts • Page 1 of 1

My drum brakes = not boat anchors

Postby Barry A » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm

The drum brakes on the new single are very effective at supporting the inner ends of the spokes but not very good for anything else. I believe that they are a combination of a Ducati drum and a Honda 2 leading shoe brake hub.

Any suggestions of sources and preferred types of brake shoes and drum brake set up would be greatly appreciated.

Barry
Barry A

Re: My drum brakes = not boat anchors

Postby The Goochman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:25 am

Barry,

I assume that you have been to the "Vintage Brake" website and read their recommendations.

Dave G
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby Barry A » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:57 am

Actually, I didn't know that there was a vintage brake web site. Sounds kind of odd, actually. Sort of like using a computer drafting program to design a steam engine. If there really is one would you please post a link?

Cheers ...... Barry
Barry A

Postby OneWheelDrive » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:54 am

I think this is the one Dave Gooch (Mr. March) is referring to.

http://www.vintagebrake.com/
John R.
DOCC #42
OneWheelDrive

Postby The Goochman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 pm

Barry,

Of course there is one, otherwise I would not have suggested that you look at it. I figured that I could leave it to you to Google "Vintage Brake" and get the web address.

"Vintage Brake" is the company name, not just the products that they service.

There is someone in Ontario who services drum brakes according to Vintage Brake's recommendations. I believe that you will find the information on their site.

Dave G
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby fmcd92 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:01 pm

Brian Henderson (yes) used to be the rep for VintageBrake and did good work setting up the correct shoe-to-drum clearance of not more than 0.015" and the correct leading edge chamfers, etc.

I would also expect Rick C. to have a handle on this as well. Lots of VRRA P1 vintage racers do this stuff and I'll bet there's an experienced practitioner near you, Barry.

Why do you need brakes? Must be you spent the grocery budget on a new motor, yes?

By the way, we'll be checking the results during Tech at Mosport...

All the best,

Fran
We do classic/vintage/2v Ducati
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:36 am

Hello Barry,
Heck,after,the number of times that you have passed me in the corners,I didnt think that you used brakes any more .Your an inspiration to us all.
Tnxs. Eric.
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby Barry A » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:02 am

Just as a point of clarification there is nothing that has changed in either the performance of the bike or my riding style that actually requires brakes. The only time that I actually had to use them last year was when marshalling in the blue class. Some of our "New chums" got lost in a couple of the corners and evasive action was deemed to be appropriate. I think that this situation could be largely avoided next year if we handed out CAA trip maps for the tracks during the riders meeting.
Barry A

Postby #99 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:02 pm

You could try these guys.

http://www.phoenixfriction.ca/

I think they did some work for Bar, check with him for results.

Here's another web site with more information than you really want to know;

http://victorylibrary.com/brit/2LS-table.htm

Is your 2LS Honda brake the 180mm one ? The shoes on them are narrower than the Grimecas so you gain power/leverage but lose swept area (?)

Last year I was at the CVMG flea market looking for a hub for a 200mm Honda 2ls brake I wanted to put on my 350. I found an interesting looking 200mm hub, brake and cable amongst some japanese mini and moto parts. "It's off a Suzuki 500" said the vendor, "It's modified to go on a 250 Ducati. I used to race them".

"SOLD!" It bolts right in to the stock fork. Included with the complete modified assembly was a spare back plate with linkage and shoes. The Suzuki shoes are about 6mm wider than the Honda's, about the same as Grimecas.

So if you can dig up a 200mm Suzuki or Honda hub and rim I know where you can get the brake cheap.

Dave

Postby Rocket Rick » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:32 am

Hi Barry,
The first thing to do it check that the shoes are engaging the drum at the same time. Given the previous owner's "laid back" approach, this may not have been checked recently. The 200mm Honda brake is pretty good once properly adjusted. If you decide to go for a reline I hear Phoenix is good and reasonable (N. Toronto).
Bike borrower extraordinaire!
Rocket Rick

Postby fmcd92 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:32 pm

Michael Morse of Vintage Brake has mentioned Suzuki 500 2LS back plates like to crack when high-friction shoes are installed. The Honda brake is recommended for us mortals with limited means.
We do classic/vintage/2v Ducati
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

Postby Barry A » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Barry A

Postby #99 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:58 am

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:04 am

Hello All,
We use Pheonix friction products for all our special brake needs ,lift truck, aerial platform,mine locomotive and of course motorcycle.these guys do excellent work and are quick.Another supplier you guys might find handy is Ontario Control Cable,for those unobtainable cables.

Phoenix Brake ,418 Hanlan Road,Unit # 35/36,Woodbridge. Steeles & Weston rd.-(416)-665-7522.

Ontario Control Cables,33 Comstock Rd.,Scarborough.Pharmacy & Eglinton Ave.-(416)-752-0661.

Tnxs. Eric.
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby BevelHead » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:29 pm

Barry,
Vintage brakes did my 65 Sebring. I was very impressed with the workmanship and materials. I'll warn you like all well known businesses that are the best in their practice there is a very long waiting line.
BevelHead

15 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to vintage ducati tech