Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

F1 Header repair

The docc defines "vintage" as all Ducatis' up to and including all models of the 750 F1.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

F1 Header repair

Postby Brian_Lees » Sun May 03, 2009 3:08 am

A bit of a drag, thinking I had a leaky exhaust gasket it was actually the header flangering had come off. Any way My idea is to bead blast the pieces and weld them up. Has anyone had this problem before? Ideas for a reliable solution? Thanx
Brian Lees
Unemployed motorcycle apprentice
Keep your knees in the breeze
Brian_Lees

Re: F1 Header repair

Postby chris fournier » Mon May 04, 2009 11:40 am

I've not had this problem on your model of bike but I have dealt with several broken exhaust systems as you've described. You repair sounds good but you should ensure that the exhaust system fits properly and is not touching your bike where it shouldn't be. Many exhaust system breakages are due to fatigue caused by poor fitment.
chris fournier

Postby Rocket Rick » Fri May 29, 2009 11:21 am

Good advice, Chris. The flange ring is not welded to the header pipe on these bikes. It is silver soldered. Don't try bronze (brazing). It heat cracks really quickly.
Good Luck!
Bike borrower extraordinaire!
Rocket Rick

Postby darnold » Fri May 29, 2009 11:45 am

... if the solder joint is broken they can be redone. If the base metal is broken you may have to cut the pipe back, create new flanges, and have those brazed on. Use the lower melting temp brazing rod as Rick suggests.
darnold

Postby andb1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:32 pm

don,t use bead blasting it embeds glass micro particles that really make it suck to weld clean with a 3 m pad and tig weld back on much stronger weld on face tig welding is very neat and the gasket will take up the imperfections

cheers
Andrew Cuttler
andb1

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to vintage ducati tech