Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Shift Like Tractor

The docc defines "vintage" as all Ducatis' up to and including all models of the 750 F1.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Shift Like Tractor

Postby Mark Lussier » Sat May 30, 2009 12:41 am

I ran my recently aquired 350 single on the Mosport Monday after spending considerable time adjusting and figiting with the right to left shift linkages and left to right brake. It worked but as the subject line says "Shift Like Tractor'. Sorry I missed that shift outta five Rob.

I could keep figiting, but since I grew up with English bikes it might be easier just to switch it back. Gooch, you have first dibs on the linkages if you've some bits to switch it back.

Next step, get real shocks, make it quiet.

Mark
DOCC Events Coordinator
Mark Lussier

Re: Shift Like Tractor

Postby fmcd92 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:56 am

Mark,

Many of us are appreciative of you bringing your single and riding it at club events, good on ya.

Crossover linkages are hardly unprecedented and can work quite smoothly. Please ask about these kinds of things at tech inspection--we have years of experience dealing with that kind of Gerry-rigging. Ask for Gerry.

I used to run left foot and right foot shift bikes over the same weekend and succeed just fine. I would go with the right foot shift, myself. Linkages for that are also easy to fabricate.

Shocks are critical, no less than 12 1/2 inch eye-to-eye and reasonably compliant.

Quiet is the way to go. Check for either a silenced aftermarket Commando unit from Mike Partridge or an inversion silencer fabricated to suit.

All the best,
Fran
We do classic/vintage/2v Ducati
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

Postby MotoMike » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:55 pm

MotoMike

Postby fmcd92 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:03 pm

Mike,

My experience is mostly subjective but the 12.5 inch shocks I ran on my 350 provided the bit of extra ground clearance and improved the weight transfer to front along with the reasonably quick steering I prefer. Because there were absolutely no penalties running that shock length and measurable gains accrued we used that O/A length as a reference.

Good dampers with adjustable rebound and straight-rate springs suited to your rider weight are most important.
Progressive spring rates are more difficult to tune correctly to damper characteristics but are fine if everything else agrees.

Would you consider bringing your 450 to one of our track weekends? If we could attain a critical mass of classic Ducatis I would be inclined to join the monocilindrico brigade. Just a riot going fast on slow bikes.

Please keep us posted,

Fran
We do classic/vintage/2v Ducati
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

Postby MotoMike » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:07 pm

Fran

thanks for that info.

I am figuring out what I want to do. have decided against Progressive. Am now considering Ikon and Hagon. both will fit what ever springs I want and adjust the length from stock to what ever I want. Or they will have thier engineers evaluate my needs and considering my bike and my 210 pound weight to make something for me.

I won't say no, but I think your track days are quite a haul for me. I would need to see what is involved at the track, inspections, equipment, etc. I'm not a racer, so would surely get in the way. thanks for the invite.
Mike
MotoMike

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to vintage ducati tech