Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Pantah pick up coils

The docc defines "vintage" as all Ducatis' up to and including all models of the 750 F1.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Pantah pick up coils

Postby Ken L » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:16 pm

Anyone know if Pantahs took the same pick up coils as the early Monsters/SS's?? (that are still available!)

Thanks,

Ken.
Never too much horsepower, never too old to use it!
Ken L

Re: Pantah pick up coils

Postby Mark Phillips » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:33 am

I used to have a Pantah... a while back. Not sure if they are all the same but mine had Bosch pick-up coils. They were also used on the Indiana but I think they had been replaced by the time Cagiva came along. The coils themselves are very robust... the common problem was the insulation on the wires, coming out of the engine, would disintegrate in the hot oil causing intermittent short circuits. I spliced in teflon coated wire.. used "high temp" (no lead) solder... and sealed them up with high temp silicone.
Mark Phillips

Postby darnold » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:06 am

You can covert your pantah from the early Bosch to the late model Kokusan. The pickups, flywheel, and igniters are not interchangeable so you need all three components. You can get a light weight flywheel from Nichols. It is also possible to order replacement electrical connectors from Ducati so that you can build up your harness to the Kokusan components.

-dan
darnold

Postby ducati588 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:09 pm

On my Pantah I had to replace the pickup coils because of the wires degrading in the oil. Ended up buying a kit off of RoadandRace or Gowanloch in Australia. Think it was $160 AU?. In any event I found out that these are the same pickups that are used on some ATV. So if you have access to parts catalogues you should be able to find something off a japanese 4 wheeler that will work. Buy the way the kit requires the drilling and tapping of a couple of M4 holes since the pickups in the kit have a little smaller foot print.

I would try Gownloch first.

Good Luck
Rob Marshall - '95 Ducati 900SS
- '85 Cagiva 650 Allazurra
ducati588

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to vintage ducati tech