Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Looking for a stator...

The docc defines "vintage" as all Ducatis' up to and including all models of the 750 F1.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Looking for a stator...

Postby Paul J » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:01 pm

Well - I thought I could rewind a 60-watt alternator for a tad more power...... :( Duh! I thought I was smarter than I really am, and it seems I can't. Winding 18g magnet wire by hand onto a Ducati 60 watt stator is not as not easy as it looked...

Does anyone out there have a spare stator they would like to part with - in exchange for money, goods, services, a paint job, wheel rebuild, bead blasting job, w.h.y, etc....? :?

Many Thanks,
pj

'66 250 SCR
'72 Bonneville
Paul J

Re: Looking for a stator...

Postby Chris Collins » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:30 am

Paul, send me a pic to my home e-addy (hopefully you took a pic before you tore into it) - I've probably got one...
Cheers,
Chris (& Sandie) Collins
DOCC #995

'07 GT1000
'75 860 GT
'73 450 Jupiter
Chris Collins

Re: Looking for a stator...

Postby Paul J » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi Chris; It looks the same 6-pole, as per your avatar - except that only four poles are wound. Do you have a sixty-watt'er, and perhaps mine is a 40-watt'er instead? :?: :?:
I spoke to Henry yesterday morning and so he's sending another, so I'm not stuck, but if you do have a spare - email me with a price, and I'll probably take you up on it.
I am taking this old one over to the motor rebuilder in Lindsay, to look into a proper rewind, and using all six poles this time, plus a heavier gauge. These have to be capable of 100 - 120 watts at 12 volts. There's almost no power loss when using a bridge, and I'm sure we can find or build a regulator that is also a light load. I read Rick's suggestion in one of the other posts, where he doesn't even use a regulator, and it appears he's successful with it..anyway - I'm going to wire this one as per that post and see what happens (just to get it on the road).

I have some playing to do, Chris, and will keep you up to date. A bridge costs $6.50 from Electrosonic, and if we can successfully produce a 6-pole, with 18 or 20-gauge single-phase on the same mounting frame I will be really happy, and can probably make a few more for the folks that want the same without paying for the $400 one from the UK, or the $500 one from Australia.

Cheers,
pj

'66 250 SCR
'72 Bonneville
Paul J

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to vintage ducati tech