Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Insurance for a Vintage Ducati Monza

The docc defines "vintage" as all Ducatis' up to and including all models of the 750 F1.
8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Insurance for a Vintage Ducati Monza

Postby ratboy1956 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:46 am

Hi to all. I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased a 66 monza 250 which I was very excited about but after a preliminary search for insurance I'm getting a bit nervous. I'm a new rider over 25 years old, but under 30... It seems very few companies want to insure vintage bikes, and fewer still if it is a duc. I'm hoping I'm not going to have to shelf the bike until I reach 30, or sell it, as I've drooled over these bikes for ages. Does anybody have suggestions as to where I might inquire? Cheers and thanks!
-Clayton
ps, I'll post pics of the bike soon, and many more questions!
ratboy1956

Re: Insurance for a Vintage Ducati Monza

Postby Roper » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:19 am

Ratboy
I have my insurance with State Farm. My daughter is my rep. She tells me they specialize in motorcycle insurance. Message me if you want to hook up for a quote.
By the way - I used to own a 250 Monza in the 60's. White. I am very interested in seeing the pics of your bike.
Rope (wish I was called Ratboy)
2009 Multistrada 1100S red
Some performance mods, some bling
Roper

Postby ratboy1956 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out state farm for sure. I found out that Jevco has lifted the blacklisting of all Ducati models, and will insure vintage stuff and new riders. It's gonna cost me about over $1600 tho! ouch! More then I paid for the bike! If anybody have any other leads please let me know. I'll get some pics of the bike up shortly! cheers!
ratboy1956

Postby The Goochman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:52 pm

Data Point:

My bikes are insured through State Farm. I carry full coverage, $300K liability (I have a umbrella liability ($2M) for the rest), $1000 ded for collision and $500 Comp

2002 ST2 (944 cc) $1150 full year
1985 Cagiva Alazzurra (650cc) $975 full year
1989 DT50 (The Bee) uninsured because they wanted $300+ for liability only!!!!!
1979 900SS Fire/theft only, $100 full year

You need to have a car insured with them for at least 6 months before they will write MC insurance in my experience.

I would love to know if there is someone else out there that will write full coverage on a vintage bike.

Dave G
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby 4theloveofducati » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:27 pm

State farm was willing to take on my bike with out having previous insurance coverage with them.
Just my $.02. Good luck with getting the monza covered.
4theloveofducati

Postby #99 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:38 pm

I have my 350 Sebring bitsa insured with Dalton Timmis / Aviva on their vintage program. About $300 a year based on an appraised value of $5000, YMMV. I just had mine re-appraised for $5500 as my 5 year anniversary just came up.

http://www.homeforchrome.com/classic-mo ... rance.html

Postby Mark Lussier » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Primmum for me. They want an apprasial for old & fire/theft/collision but are generally happy to write a policy for liability only on just about anything.

I've never insured anything with them other than bikes, so they don't restrict you to existing policy holders with a car or house. Aviva & State Farm both insisted that I write a policy for a car or my house with them before they would touch any of my bikes.

They don't seem to rate soley based on displacement either. I switched my '73 Z1 900 for a '01 900ss on my cell in the license office and had the certificate faxed to the license office. There was some mumbling about a rate adjustment but I wasn't really listening and just said yes, yes, ok. Yah I wanted a sticker right then... I expected an invoice but two weeks later I received a cheque along with the pink slips. I was shocked.

I did deal with Aviva in the past but had a claim one time which is a really long story and involved alot of police reports and despositions. They paid out, but on my next renewal there were no bikes on the policy. They were no longer interested in me as a customer.

For a new rider and I have one in my house, the quotes were from $800 on my 185 Twinstar to $1500 on my (Jen's :) 600 Monster.
DOCC Events Coordinator
Mark Lussier

Postby ratboy1956 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:07 am

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I'm with Aviva now... and I had a claim when some lady backed into my 56 chev... they were pretty evil to deal with, and made me fight tooth and nail to get anything... they intially tried to write the car off even though it only needed a new fender and some trim. I managed to get paid and keep my car in the end, but they dragged it out for months. I'd prefer no to go with them, but in the end it will all come down to who wants to write the policy with a competitive price. I'm going to get back to calling around in the spring.
ratboy1956

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to vintage ducati tech