Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Checking Oil Level

The docc defines "vintage" as all Ducatis' up to and including all models of the 750 F1.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Checking Oil Level

Postby Jack C » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:48 pm

I know this is a basic question, but here goes.

I do not have the dip stick or filler extension for my bike (Monza 160 Jr). I tried to pour in the correct amount of oil, but it would not fit when filling thru the plug in the front of the motor.

According to one of my books it is best to add the oil thru the clutch inspeciton hole (the oval Ducati badge on the Left side case, I presume), and check it there. My question is how up in the case should it be? I assue it is a wet clutch, and the crank end bearings in the case look like they would run in oil.

I want to fill the sump and case with the correct amount (there is already some there before it started to leak out) run it a bit to clean it up since it has been sitting 30 years, then change it again.

Thank you!
Jack
Jack C

Postby Rocket Rick » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:33 pm

Hi again, Jack
Fill to the bottom of the filler tube. The factory lists the sump capacity at 2.1 Ltr.- just over 2 qts US.
It's difficult to get all the oil out when doing a change. Except for draining the 30 year old oil, start with the oil hot, drain, then tilt the bike to the right for a minute to drain the primary cover, and tilt to the left to pour the remaining oil out.
Cheers, Rocket
Bike borrower extraordinaire!
Rocket Rick

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to vintage ducati tech