Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Mach 1 heads

The docc defines "vintage" as all Ducatis' up to and including all models of the 750 F1.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Mach 1 heads

Postby Ken Lippett » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:12 pm

Can a competent mahine shop convert a regular 250 head to mach 1 specs???

QUESTION,,, is there enough "meat" in the casting to accommodate the enlarged porting required???

Which would require less shop time,
1, rebuild 3 broken cooling fins or
2, convert "regular" head to Mach 1 spec.

Any input appreciated,,, thanks in advance
Ken
Ken Lippett

Postby #99 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:11 pm

answer 1. Yes there is enough meat there, though I would be cautious about which "competent machine shop" you send it to. I sent my Sebring head to Phil at www.roadandrace.com.au to have it converted to "scrambler" spec (bigger valves, porting, green/white cam regrind, solid rockers)

answer 2. IMHO If you have all the broken fin pieces and the breaks are reasonably clean and accessible I would go the welding route. I saw a guy on TV repair an old Indian head with a missing fin by snapping a fin off of a donor head and welding it on. The repair was invisible (after proper finishing)

Hope that helps,

Dave

Mach 1 heads

Postby Ken Lippett » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:19 pm

Re; Competent Machine shops,
In talking to machine shops in my area plus the outboard, snowmobile and bike mechanics where I live they all recommended I deal lwith Mongoose Machine and Engineering in Port Coquitlam BC (Port Coq. is a suburb of Vancouver BC) I had them do my crank and turnaround time was prompt and new conrod install seemed to fit all specs that I could measure.(but,,, I guess the proof will be when I start the motor up.
I am still looking for decent ,polishable side cases for 250 Duc, Mach 1 type Tank and straight, rust and dent free rear fender.
KEN
Ken Lippett

Mach 1 Heads

Postby Ken Lippett » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:22 pm

Sorry:
I should have included Mongoose's Web site, site is
www.mongoosemachine.com
KEN
Ken Lippett

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to vintage ducati tech