Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

F1B Igintion

The docc defines "vintage" as all Ducatis' up to and including all models of the 750 F1.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

F1B Igintion

Postby Brian_Lees » Sun May 07, 2006 5:44 pm

I seem to have a igniter box ( Bosch ) that is failing at times. Any one have any options they can suggest either upgrades to new igniter boxes or if you have a source for a Bosch unit 079946300

thanx
Brian Lees
Unemployed motorcycle apprentice
Keep your knees in the breeze
Brian_Lees

Postby Rocket Rick » Mon May 08, 2006 12:57 pm

Hi Brian,
What's an igniter box? The Bosch parts on this bike are the ignition pick-ups inside the engine, and the transducers on the plate with the coils in front of the gas tank. I Can offer loads of free advice here once we're both on the same part.
Cheers, Rocket
Bike borrower extraordinaire!
Rocket Rick

Postby Brian_Lees » Tue May 09, 2006 4:14 pm

the part would be the box on the plate under the tank... I did find one.... it seems the exact same box is used on the bosch equiped bevel drives. But im interested in hearring your ideas.
Brian Lees
Unemployed motorcycle apprentice
Keep your knees in the breeze
Brian_Lees

Postby Rocket Rick » Tue May 09, 2006 5:10 pm

Hi Brian,
I checked the F-1 parts book, and found you were using the Ducati #, not the Bosch #. The Bosch components were used on all the bikes from 77 to 86.
The transducer has 2 rows of connectors one has 2, and the other has 3. get an ohm metre, set it to the 2000K scale, put the postive lead to the centre terminal in the row of three, and the negative to both (in turn) of the outer terminals in the row. I got readings of 1600-1660 on the 2 transducers I checked (believed good). There were no readings with any other combination of terminals.
These guys rarely fail unless they've been hooked up wrong. A far more regular failure is the insulation falling off the pick-up wires inside the engine case, or steel filings sticking to the pick-ups at the wires, causing a short.
Both are easy repairs, just don't get the pick-up wires mixed up.
Keep us posted.
Cheers, Rick
Bike borrower extraordinaire!
Rocket Rick

Postby ducati588 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:08 pm

ducati588

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to vintage ducati tech