Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Oil pumps/ 250 singles

The docc defines "vintage" as all Ducatis' up to and including all models of the 750 F1.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Oil pumps/ 250 singles

Postby Ken Lippett » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:24 pm

I intend to make a drill adapter to spin the pump while immersed in oil, messy but I think it will give me a good indication of flow.
Has any one developed a method of measuring volume of oil pumped???
Failing measurement, what does an acceptable flow look like???
Ken Lippett

Postby Rocket Rick » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:20 pm

Don't bother. First, there is no volumn spec for the pump, so you'll have to create one. This means taking a new, or fully (and correctly) rebuilt pump, and spinning it at a known RPM (not what the drill says it's rated at) with a specific weight oil. By the time you've done this, you could have stripped, measured, and rebuilt the pump.
If the pump hasn't been apart, squirt oil (SAE 40, or 50) in the pick-up hole in the timing cover, and spin the pump spindle clockwise with you fingers, oil will appear immediately at the crankshaft bushing in the cover. The pump[ must be primed first, though, and this will take several squirts of oil.The point here is it's obvious the pump works even if only spun by hand. You can feel the resistance of the oil as you spin it. The pump is sealed with fine, neatly twisted lockwire strung between the 4 slot head cover screws. If this is missing or replaced it's worth checking the pump for wear and correct assembly. Follow the specs in the workshop manual. Any scratches made by the gears on the steel cover plate can be removed by sanding with 180 grit paper (use a glass plate or surface plate). Make sure the oil pressure relief valve ball is 1/4" dia., and the steel plate is put back in the right way round & right side to the gears.
Good luck, Rocket
Bike borrower extraordinaire!
Rocket Rick

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to vintage ducati tech