Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Help! My bike keeps dying in traffic!

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Help! My bike keeps dying in traffic!

Postby Sheldon » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:42 pm

I have been having this problem with my bike for some time now. It's a 2001 Ducati 750ss. It happens when the bike is already warmed up and will give no prior sign of failure.

It will be reving perfectly normally at a red light and then just die on me. Sometimes i can get it to start up again right away without any problems but it's happening more frequently now and one time i had to wait until the bike cooled down (about 15 minutes on the side of a highway) before i could get her to start up again.

I tried replacing the spark plugs and it seemed to have fix the problem for a little while but now it's doing the same thing. There's nothing wrong with the battery or the starter, as far as I can tell it's something electrical. Someone suggested I change the coils, saying that the bike's engine could be heating them up and causing them to fail. I have tried to look for coils online but can't seem to find any place that sells them for my bike.

Does anyone know if I'm on the right track and if so, where I can buy the coils I need?
Sheldon

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:51 pm

I'm not sure if it's the same cause but I had similar symptoms at the track in May. I thought it was the fuel pump, but it looks like it was the fuel filter. My hypothesis is that the gas I bought from Mosport was mostly water and was clogging the fuel filter inside the tank. After several minutes of down time, enough fuel would get through to start the bike but it would die after 100 feet.

Fortunately, I had a spare tank with fuel pump and filter. I have only recently changed the bad filter and haven't had a chance to test it but with the spare tank, all of the symptoms dissappeared.

I would be surprised if both coils would die at the same time. A friend of mine with a 749 had one of his coils go bad, but the bike would still run on one cylinder. It was the coolest looking 375 ever made....

My .02$ worth.
Chris

Postby Rob374 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:58 pm

Rob374

Postby Mike_D » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:10 pm

Mike_D
Mike_D

Postby Rocket Rick » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:56 am

Bike borrower extraordinaire!
Rocket Rick

Postby Sheldon » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Sheldon