Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Not starting

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Not starting

Postby Cobourg Monster » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:03 pm

Cobourg Monster

Postby Cobourg Monster » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:13 pm

Tried charging the battery and got good voltage with volt meter around 12.5. Tried to start it and nothing, the voltage dropped to 10.5 after that. Does anyone know whats causing the voltage to drop or whats draining my battery. I had this problem when I first bought the bike in May. A new Yuasa battery fixed it and no problems until now.
Cobourg Monster

Postby darnold » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:40 am

After charging the battery when you hit the starter did the engine turn over?

If not put the bike and first gear and push it backwards to turn the starter motor over. Then back in neutral and try the starter and see if the engine turns over.

12.5 volts is not great btw. It should be over 13 volts on a full charge with no load.
darnold

Postby corbo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:27 am

Same thing was happening to me it turned out two things was causing it

first was the voltage regulator , I was getting voltage of 12.5 changed the regulator shot up to 14.

second was the ecu for some odd reason moisture was getting into contacts ( rain or washing ) and bike would not start the next day battery would show low voltage . I to would change the battery temp solution
I would have the voltage regulator checked and make sure the ecu is properly seated and perhaps seal it so moisture will not get into it
corbo

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech