Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Injector Trouble?

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Injector Trouble?

Postby Dave.L.S. » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:25 pm

I have a GT1000 which got a bad tank of gas late last summer. The fuel filter was completely plugged with black specs and it seemed that some of the specks made it through to the injectors. On hard acceleration, particularly when cold, it bogs down. I've run many bottles of injector cleaner through the machine and it has improved but the bogging is still apparent.

I'm assuming that the bogging down and the black specks are related because they appeared to happened at the same time. The other thing is that I've gone from getting 220 KM before the fuel light comes on before the bad gas, to around 180, a big drop in mileage. It was embarrassing going to Indianapolis, having my wife on her BMW call my Duc a gas guzzler.

I'm considering removing the fuel filter and cleaning it thoroughly as well as thoroughly rinsing the gas tank just to be absolutely sure that there is no more bad stuff. I was also considering removing the injectors just to see if there was anything serviceable, or if there was any visible crap stuck anywhere in them.

I would really appreciate any suggestions or advise on what else I might look at or try.

Thanks,

Dave
Dave.L.S.

Re: Injector Trouble?

Postby Stephen Day » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Dave'
My 2000 Monster had symptoms similar to yours . I checked everything I could and could not find a cause. I suspected a clogged injector on the front cylinder. I took it out and couldn't see anything . The "holes " are tiny, tiny, tiny. I took it to a dealer. The Ducati replacement was very, very expensive; no offense to Ducati or the dealer. I discovered this : many "Ducati " injectors are rather generic devices made by Bosch and others and rather cheap if you can find the correct # and manufacture. It's basicly flow rate and orifice size. I had trouble with correlating Ducati part numbers to manufacturers number.
There are companys which will clean and flow test injectors for much less than replacement price. Mail order. Google injector cleaning.
Clogged filters and /or injectors would restrict gas flow. Higher gas consumption suggests something else.
Are your plugs the same color? A clogged injector doesn't unclog itself, temperature or not. The computer does a lot of injector control, almost always duration at a fixed pressure. Is the pressure correct and constant ? I'd drain the tank, change the filter, don't clean it and have a dealer check the computer for a code if that applies to your bike.
Think Spring.
Steve
Stephen Day

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech