Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Belt changes on a 749

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Belt changes on a 749

Postby Mark Hutfloetz » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:35 pm

I'm looking at changing the belts on my 749 (my first time). Interested if anyone has any info on tips for this procedure and what tools (special) I should have.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark
Waterloo, Ontario
Mark Hutfloetz

Re: Belt changes on a 749

Postby The Goochman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:06 pm

Mark,

I am getting ready to do the same job myself (2005 749). Have you priced the belts yet? Sit down when they tell you - $140 each!!!!!

I presume that you do not have a service manual for the bike. There are about half a dozen special tools that they want you to use. I understand that the only one you really need is the one that locks the cams together to keep them from turning. These can be purchased off of E-bay for about $40 usd. I don't know if it is absolutely necessary, but I will probably get one before I start the job, unless either someone wants to loan (rent) one out or tells me that it can be done without.

The other thing to know is that the belt tension is set by frequency. Pluck the belt like a guitar string and adjust the tension to 110hz. Hmm, maybe my guitar tuner will help!

My plan is to do the hard work and them take it to Inglis in London to have them finish the job and reset the "maintenance required" indicator on the dash.

If you are interested, I got a photocopy of the service manual off a guy on e-bay. Paid about $40 usd shipped to Port Huron MI. I know, but I live right on the border.

Let me know how things turn out. I probably won't start working on mine for another month. Too darn cold in the garage right now.

Dave G
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby Mark Hutfloetz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback Dave.

I have the service manual and the cam locking tool (well, ordered it off of Ebay and waiting for it to arrive). Just concerned about checking the tension...

Come on, anybody out there?

Mark
Mark Hutfloetz

Postby Rzredge » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:28 pm

Check out you tube there are some video instructionals out there from ducatitech.com
Rzredge

Postby dryskull » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:00 pm

Just did belts on a ST4,pretty easy once you get stuck in,Count the belt teeth between marks and draw a picture,Easy,,Put it on the stand and turned the back wheel in 6th gear to line up the timing marks,,Belt tension is a little subjective,I used straight edge across the Cam pulleys with an allen key underneath,and the twist the belt 45 deg. methods,,I measured before I took the old belts off to get a feel for how tight,one was a bit tighter than the other,,Err on the too loose side,too tight is worse..Its not so bad,the hardest part is finding room in your shop for all the fairing bits,,Take a deep breath and dive in--Good Luck--
dryskull

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech