Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

brake caliper help

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

brake caliper help

Postby ducatidude » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:19 pm

The mbducati is rolling. Not stopping too well, however. New pads, but I am wondering if I haven't lost the plot with the master cylinder ratio.

Single front brake caliper: 1 brand new 6-piston discaccc whatever caliper.
Steel braided lines, bled properly
Master: MV Agusta from an F4/Brutale (non-radial)

My (likely flawed) logic was that a master from a 2x4 piston brake system would be "close"/OK when used on a 1x6 piston caliper -- as in the total number of pistons on an MV is 8 (4 per side) whereas my system has 6.

Of course, might be the new pads that haven't bedded in yet, but does anyone have any thoughts? The feel is "wooden" at the lever.

Weigh in, everyone! :eusa_think:
ducatidude

Re: brake caliper help

Postby ducati588 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:40 pm

You might want to go to the Vintage Brake web page and check what Michael Moore has written there. He has a good primer on ratios for specific systems.

That being said I had a vintage Bevel with the stock single caliper and original size master which the brakes always felt wooden. I changed up the next year and added a second caliper and the brakes felt excellent. So if my experience is anything to go by perhaps your master has too big a bore??? Anyways the vintage brake site would be a good place to start.
Rob Marshall - '95 Ducati 900SS
- '85 Cagiva 650 Allazurra
ducati588

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech