Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

1998 748 purchase what issues to beware of?

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

1998 748 purchase what issues to beware of?

Postby newducker » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:02 pm

Hi everyone, soon to join the owners club, looking at 1998 748 w/17500 miles from So. Cal. what issues are important to check out re mods, or research in service records, in particular? Thanks for your help, I am an aircraft mechanic, so I'm technically inclined generally speaking, but not knowledgeable on this model's quirks/shortfalls, thanks again.
newducker

Re: 1998 748 purchase what issues to beware of?

Postby jon snadden » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:52 pm

Given the mileage on the bike, you'll want to check the service records and verify that the rockers have been recently examined. If they haven't already been replaced, there's a strong possibility that you'll end up having to take care of it.
You'll need to remove the camshafts to examine the closing rocker surface so there's a few hours of work involved. OEM replacement rockers were selling for $170 a pop last time I checked. And there are 16 of them.
jon snadden

Postby newducker » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:12 am

Thank you very much John, you've been very helpful, do you know of other difficulties? Or does anybody else know of others ? MUCH appreciated!!
newducker

Postby jon snadden » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:53 am

The bike's pretty robust and other than the rocker issue, there's little else to be really concerned about.
You might want to check the alternator nut. On the two phase bikes the nut has a tendency to lossen and can cause some grief. While you are there, check the connection between the stator and regulator. Any evidence of overheating will be apparent. Deal with this immediately (I've had two that caught fire destroying the main harness and that is expen$ive).
Check the cush at the rear sprocket. These are known to work inward and will chew up the rear hub. The aftermarket sprocket carriers are superior in this respect.
Inspect the countershaft sprocket retaining plate. Over time the teeth will wear allowing the sprocket to move about on the shaft.
goodluck
jon snadden

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech