Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Converting a 749 to a Track Bike

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Converting a 749 to a Track Bike

Postby Mark Hutfloetz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi there,

I'm considering converting over my 2003 749 Biposto to a dedicated track bike.

I'm looking for some suggestions/recommendations for those that have done this to their 749/999's.

Things to consider are cost, where to buy, good paint shops, what items should be taken off the bike, etc, etc, etc.

Pictures would be cool too.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark
Waterloo, Ontario
Mark Hutfloetz

Re: Converting a 749 to a Track Bike

Postby Jim Engeland » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:50 am

Hey Mark
Just remove the lights, mirrors and license plate and you've got your track bike. Add a skid plate for any offtrack excursions and 'Bobs yur uncle'. Always glad to help!
Jim Engeland

Postby Chris » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:17 pm

The most important thing about your bike is the outside appearance. You NEED to buy some 749R carbon bodywork and get a full custom paint job. Very few people crash their bikes on track days so don't be too worried about it. Of course, you will not want any big ugly frame sliders either.

The next best modification you MUST have is a magnesium single sided swingarm. Saving time doing tire changes is very important at the track. You only have 40 minutes between sessions to do tire changes so it's important to get the rear tire off quickly.

You will also NEED a lap timer. Preferably one with GPS so that you can accurately measure your lap times to 1000's of a second.

To finish off the chassis, you MUST get carbon fibre wheels.

In the engine, the biggest bang for the buck is titanium connecting rods. No need to do anything to the heads or valves as they historically have been bulletproof.

To finish it off, you need a full 70mm Open-ended exhaust. The important thing to remember is that the more you spend, the better it is. Don't believe that you need to have your bike retuned for the pipe either, just drill some holes in your airbox.

Did I miss anything? :)
Chris

Postby darnold » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:06 am

darnold

Postby Mark Hutfloetz » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:07 pm

So helpful...

The DOCC forum never fails to disappoint with it's overabundance of insightful responses!
Mark
Waterloo, Ontario
Mark Hutfloetz

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech