Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

06 M620, mod or trade up???

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

'06 M620 Mod or trade up?

Keep and build into the ultimate M620?
25%
Trade up to a bigger monster?
75%
Trade up to a Japanese Sport touring bike? (YZF 600r, ZZR 600, Suzuki SV1000, CBR600f4i)
No votes

Total votes : 8

06 M620, mod or trade up???

Postby metalmonster31 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:06 am

I ride a 2006 M620 monster. I bought it brand new in june 2006 from GPBikes in Ajax. Love the bike, love riding it, but at 6'0" and weighing 175lbs in my gear, the suspension just isn't up to the task. I ride everywhere, and in any weather to school, work, and recreationally.
I went back to the dealership last week to look into suspension upgrades, and to get a trade in value for my baby. I was looking at used japanese sport touring bikes, as I want to do some longer rides, but I'm thinking that if I part with my Monster, I want to replace it with a bigger Monster. Specifically the M1100s with the fully adjustable Ohlins suspension on it (In pearl white. I like "Ducati Anniversary red" I just don't like it on MY bike!) . I admit that I didn't initially like the reworked styling of the new monster, and still find it aesthetically inferior to the original. I don't, however, dispute that the new bike is functionally superior to the old.
Any additional thoughts on the new M1100S?
If I were to decide not to trade up at this point, what front forks would fit my M620 with minimal modification (i.e. retaining the stock front wheel, and brakes...)? If I just changed springs and oil, what weights should I use (I was thinking RaceTech 0.9kg/m springs and up one weight from stock- whatever that is- on the oil)? What weight should I upgrade the rear spring to?
metalmonster31

Re: 06 M620, mod or trade up???

Postby cm250to999 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:27 pm

If suspensions the big beef, do it cheap and keep the good ol dog. Power could be done to...

I'm stuck to remember exactly what fork the 620 has. I did .9 or .95 race tech springs and molasses 20 weight on my track only 95 900M, love it (the hotter the fork gets the better it works). That's the non adjustable Showa. Did the springs so long ago, I forget what exact number. Ducati most often claims 7.5 oil weight is stock in all forks they use.

My stock Sach Boge shock runs the original spring (900 heavier original spring?), and an old series race tech gold valve. Another peach (after my 3rd build), for what the bike actually is with well used stock motor. I can ride the wheels off that furry old dog. Super fun.

Ohlins springs are the way to go. The inside diameter is big enough to clear a plastic baffle on the damping rod assembly. Race tech springs you have to take the fork apart to remove the baffle. Price is pretty close. Talk to someone like Pro 6.
For, those that fly, may fight againe, Which he can never do that's slain.
OR: Fewer crashes mean more track time. ;)
cm250to999

Postby metalmonster31 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:35 am

Thanks for the info.
I think trying the heavier front springs and oil is probably the best course of action, and then to spend time trying to nail the set up on the rear. I suspect that I actually have a pretty awesome handling bike, once I get her dialed in! I'm inclined to go with the Ohlins front spring (0.9), as I plan to perform the surgery myself, with the aid of a shop manual. Probably go a bit lighter on the oil than your track bike, but definitely heavier than stock. The race tech gold valve in the rear sounds like a good idea, I'll run it all by my Mechanic before I make any decisions.
metalmonster31

Postby cm250to999 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:49 am

Yeah 20w is a bit nuts, it's worked for the track on a high mileage fork. I finally changed my 05 999 (showa adjustable) fork oil this year, and used 10w. This gave me some compression adjustment, was screwed in fully.

5w is smart when building a new valve kit or refreshing one already built. If oil loses x amount to breakdown, you loose less with a smaller number. Most street forks are built soft & use slightly heavier oil. Unfortunately most marazocchi forks are unbalanced in damping, so thicker oil helps but doesn't provide optimum fix.

Rebound is the big thing with the shock. I have seen a friends 695 respond well to 1 1/4 turns in from stock. Mine was not doing it fully seated. It's the only adjustment for damping on the sach's shock, flat blade at bottom of shock. If you have never touched spring preload, there may be something to be found there as well.

My 2 cent's, kind of fun, hope it helps

Chris
For, those that fly, may fight againe, Which he can never do that's slain.
OR: Fewer crashes mean more track time. ;)
cm250to999

Postby clyde » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:02 pm

Just my $.02 but, there is no replacement for displacement... just trade up and don't over-spend on the current one, you will never get the money back if or when you decide to move along.

Again, just my opinion...
What an awesome machine!
clyde

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech