Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

94 monster electrical problem

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

94 monster electrical problem

Postby Norm » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Love my bike but...

Last fall I went for some twisties, about 10 minutes into the ride the bike stopped, the 7 amp starter fuse had blown, I put in a 20 amp that I had and it started right away, rushed back home.

By the time I got home the voltage regulator was melting but the bike still ran !

I replaced the regulator and the fuse , the regulator looks ok, but the fuses still blow as soon as the bike starts, if I put in a 30 amp the bike runs but the fuse gets really hot.

Any Idea anyone ?

Thanks

Norm
Norm

Re: 94 monster electrical problem

Postby The Goochman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:57 pm

There is a short in the system somewhere. Take out that damn 30 amp fuse before you melt the wires or worse start a fire!!!!!!!! The fuse is there for a reason.

Electrical troubleshooting requires that you start from one end of a circuit and work to the other. You don't need a multimeter, but it will certainly help. (They can be bought for less than $10 these days) A wiring diagram for the bike is also very nice to have if you are doing this yourself. Be methodical and do 1 step at a time. Don't be surprised if it is the alternator that has gone bad (shorted internally) but I could be very wrong.

Don't get caught in the trap of replacing parts at random trying to find the problem. Look for the simple things first.

I am sorry that this is really not complete enough to help.

Dave G
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech