Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Track Day Prep

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
35 posts • Page 1 of 31, 2, 3

Track Day Prep

Postby Steinke » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Hi, just new to the club and am planning on doing some of the track days. Just wondering if anyone can give me tips on what bike preparations are required and also recommended. Eg running straight water or with a track legal additive, bike set up such as tire pressures, that sort of thing.
Thanks alot
-John
Steinke

Re: Track Day Prep

Postby OneWheelDrive » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:19 pm

Please read, thoroughly, the Rules & Regulations posted on the web-site. You will find a link on the left side of the main web-page

Remove (preferred) or tape mirrors, signals and taillight. Tape over headlight (remember to remove the fuse for the headlight so the tape does not "burn" to the headlight). Tape over reflectors and any other glass the could leave shards on the track in the event of a crash. Remove centre stands. Side stands do not need to be removed unless it would be the first thing to touch down - the technical inspection crew can tell you if the side stands needs to be removed after looking at your bike. Flush your rad of all coolant and replace with water or water and Water Wetter (flush twice to be sure). ALL water cooled bikes will be checked with a hydrometer to ensure no coolant is present. Make sure your brake pads and tires are in good condition.

You will need your club membership number on the front and both sides of the bike so that it can be seen clearly by track corner marshals.

We cannot suggest tire pressures. You can talk to others at the track to determine what they are running, but there are too many variables to suggest the correct pressure for any individual.

Welcome to the club, you will have a great time at our track rallies.
John R.
DOCC #42
OneWheelDrive

Postby robb916998 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:59 am

Hay Steinke.
Don"t over look your personal riding gear .helmet,boots,gloves,leather suit,back protector all have to meat requirements. and pass a gear tech inspection as well.
Welcome aboard ,Its a blast.grate tracks.fantastic people,AWESOME machines

Be advised it's a slippery slope!One track rally is never enough.
hi
robb916998

Postby Steinke » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:59 pm

Dumb question but .....
Does it matter what kind of water is used to refill the rad? What I mean is normal tap water okay or should distilled water be used so there would be no minerals or lime which might hurt waterpump seals ??
Steinke

Postby OneWheelDrive » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:13 pm

Use Distilled water. It is cheap from your local grocery store.
John R.
DOCC #42
OneWheelDrive

Postby fmcd92 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi John and welcome to DOCC,

I'm sure you've heard this before but if you have time and interest in securing a supply of distilled water for rad filling then it's all good. If, much like normal life, you're in a pinch -- just pour in clean tap water with wetter. If it's a street bike you'll likely change back to coolant once trackdays are over, anyway.

All this stuff will be much easier after you do an event or two with the club, ask us questions when you meet us at Tech inspection, especially if you get there early, now there's an idea...

Cheers,
Fran
We do classic/vintage/2v Ducati
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

Postby The Goochman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Distilled water is available at most local drug stores in gallon jugs. It is used in steam irons to keep the mineral deposits from staining clothes while ironing! (Even so called permanent press dress shirts look better after they have been ironed, especially after they have been washed a time or two!)

Dave G
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby Steinke » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks everyone for all the info - keep it coming, just want to make sure I have as much prepared as I can before hand and not leaving things too last minute.
Steinke

Postby cm250to999 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:08 pm

Personally I wouldn't put tap water in anything, at least filter it first. The impurities cook off on to the walls of the engine, reducing heat transfer. Flushing is more of a chore than many realize. I'd recommend buying two gallons of distilled at least. Drain everything, then fill with water only. Run the bike very briefly to circulate, drain again. Then do your track mix. Water wetter additive is a fine choice. Maxima has a very similar ready to go blend called cool aide.

When going back to coolant drain the track stuff (debate keeping it for one more year), then put in a dollop of unmixed coolant to make up for the bit that just won't drain, fill with coolant water mix.

If you spill any coolant during the process, you will understand why it is not wanted on the track. Cleanup is neither easy or fun. I love water cooled fuel injected bikes. I hate antifreeze (coolant).

With that beat to death, there is a bigger picture. I think it shows why anybody does this stuff at all. My other brother Gerry and I call it the church of the Arai (insert your favorite helmet brand). This is a chance to be your own pilot, enjoy your choices and mistakes. For sure, make sure tires, brakes, chain, riding gear, etc. are in good condition. Find your rhythm and pace and enjoy that. Look as far ahead as you can, without loosing sight of where you are. This will allow you to anticipate what's next.

Hero Kenny Roberts used to hide in the tire truck, contemplating the entire track he had been riding. He would picture a full lap, and then break it down. As ideas came to his mind he would make imaginary info packets and place them on an imaginary velcro board. Thus having some idea of what to do under a variety of circumstances. Neat inspiration, and little more. Yet you will need to be prepared for others passing you, or making clean passes by others. For sure, it's best to not try to bite the whole thing off in one shot. Take your own time with it.

This has been my only real hobby for 25+ years. Jaded I am, love it I still do. Have fun

Chris
For, those that fly, may fight againe, Which he can never do that's slain.
OR: Fewer crashes mean more track time. ;)
cm250to999

Postby Steinke » Wed May 19, 2010 12:24 pm

Some more questions from a newbie track day member.
In regards to headlights and such, does it matter what tape I use ? Does anyone have a recommended brand? I dont want to put anything on that sticks like crazy glue but I dont want it to fly off while on the track either.
In regards to bike numbers - anyone have any tips on brand, style, size, mounting application? I see many bikes with white background and black lettering.
Anyother bike prep tips not included in this thread is greatly appreciated.
Also if you see bike #72 drop in and say hi (I'm the guy wearing the brand new leathers and boots sticking out from the crowd) . I am a new DOCC and do not know anyone and want to make some new friends.
Regards
-John
Steinke

Postby OneWheelDrive » Wed May 19, 2010 2:00 pm

Welcome aboard John.

Many of us use Duct tape. It stays on quite well and after is easily removed. You can clean up any glue residue with Goo-Gone or Bug&Tar remover. Just remember to pull the fuse to your headlight so the heat given off by the headlight does not burn the tape onto your headlight.

The corner marshals would prefer that you DO NOT use clear tape. They can't tell, when you flash by them, if the headlight is taped or not and are likely to black flag you so that we can check it out.
John R.
DOCC #42
OneWheelDrive

Postby Jim Engeland » Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 pm

Be careful not to over think this track day thing - it's not rocket surgery, just a nice ride on a scenic little road with your soon-to-be new friends who only ask that you "stay the hell outa their way!".
Jim Engeland

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Thu May 20, 2010 1:00 pm

Hello All,
This has nothing to do with motorcycles,but has a lot to do with tech .inspection. I never drink water, either tap or distilled .I find water is only good for you if a recognized brewery has but it through it's filter system.
Tnxs. Eric.
Remember what fish do in water.Well,maybe we shouldn't talk about that right now,maybe after tech. inspection and a few beers.
Tnxs. Eric
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby Steinke » Thu May 20, 2010 3:27 pm

LoL
Okay I think I got it.
Duct tape, stay out of the way, and bring lots of beer - no water.
Steinke

Postby fmcd92 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:59 pm

John,

We'll try keeping ane eye out for you at tech, please intro. y'self if you have time so we can chat a bit about some of this advice. It never stops, we've got lots too.

I recently got a haircut just so folks would stop thinking Eric and I were father and son. Now it's much easier for me tp pretend some degree of normalcy. That's got to help.

Safe travels,

Fran
We do classic/vintage/2v Ducati
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

Next

35 posts • Page 1 of 31, 2, 3

Return to modern ducati tech