Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Track Day Prep

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
35 posts • Page 2 of 31, 2, 3

Re: Track Day Prep

Postby Guy Pike » Sun May 23, 2010 6:04 pm

I also wire the caliper bolts and oil filter and drain plugs on all my bikes.This year at Fishtail Riding School I saw the rear brake caliper hanging from an Aprillia in time to prevent an incident. Earlier, an aquaintance had lost his oil drain plug on the Kankamaugus Highway near Conway NH. Both bikes had just been serviced by a dealer! Street or track, these items need to stay on the bikes. Funny, the Club used to require the drain plug and filter to be wired but dropped the requirement.......Have a great Mosport. It is a good first track as it is big , wide, and can be ridden comfortably by anyone at their own speed. There are any number of great folks who will help you at the rally. My best to all, Guy
Never underestimate the power of idiots in large numbers.
Guy Pike

Postby The Goochman » Tue May 25, 2010 7:33 am

Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby Steinke » Tue May 25, 2010 7:52 am

I appreciate all the feedback & I have thought of a few more questions before the weekend.
1. What is the normal amount of fuel I can expect to go through Saturday and Sunday? Does one bring their own or is there a fuel facility at the track?
2. Are camp fires allowed while camping at the track? Just wondering if I need to bring some wood.
3. I have a Vholdr helmet camera I use sometimes when I race MX. Would such a device be permitted either on my bike or person while on the track?
Steinke

Postby fmcd92 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:42 am

John,

All good questions!

1) 40 litres

2) Small campfires have been tolerated when built far away from the paddock areas for obvious reasons but it has been unusually dry of late. My personal preference is no fires unless within one of those fire-pot thing-a-mies.

3) Lots of folks run camera devices by ensuring such gizmos will not come loose through application of vast quantities of duct tape. Mind the power feed wire, too.

4) Please ensure we can access your coolant before you bring your bike to tech inspec.

Thank you for checking all this stuff out with us, I think we're going to get on well.

Fran at tech inspec dotcom
We do classic/vintage/2v Ducati
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

Postby KTM250SX » Tue May 25, 2010 11:26 am

KTM250SX

Postby Guy Pike » Tue May 25, 2010 6:17 pm

Well now Goochman I'm not up for pissing contest but I have a photo from Mosport "92 {my first} that shows a man who resembles Ron Callahan with his fingers on the wire to my oil drain plug. This had been done that spring by Bruce Meyers because in his words, "They won't let you on the track if you don't!" But history is just that and I and others have been down in oil spills enough to feel that it warrants the same attention as glycol. More since we still have aircooled bikes circulating race tracks all over the world. Hell, I even know people who have fallen at Mt. Tremblant on dry tracks! Everyone enjoy Mosport and be safe! Guy
Guy Pike

Postby The Goochman » Tue May 25, 2010 7:28 pm

Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby Chris » Tue May 25, 2010 11:48 pm

I would not recommend buying gas from the on-site 'gas' provider. I lost over 1/2 day a few years back because the 'gas' was about 50% water causing my fuel filter to clog and my bike to die. Many people had the same problem. Just bring your own gas and not worry about it.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris

Postby Guy Pike » Wed May 26, 2010 5:11 am

Goochman, I had forgotten about you and Gareth and remembered Tom Wallace! How the years do take their toll, eh?
Guy Pike

Re: Track Day Prep Falling

Postby Dyno-Sore » Wed May 26, 2010 7:31 am

Hey Guy,

Speaking of falling, Whose wife am I supposed to "tongue kiss" as you put it at Mosport, and should I safety wire anything in advance in order to prevent falling (being knocked over etc.)???
The things I do for you.
That rear brake calliper on that new bike at NH was something YIKES!

T
Dyno-Sore

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Wed May 26, 2010 12:30 pm

Hey Dad ,
How come you and mom moved away without telling me? See you a the track!
Love Sonny.
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby fmcd92 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:02 pm

We knew you wouldn't hear us calling you with that dang music you kids listen to turned up louder than one of Guy Pike's Hawiian shirts!!
Look how things turned out -- thank me later, a cool pint at Mosport might help.

Yer Da

Fran
We do classic/vintage/2v Ducati
KTM

The Motofarm
fmcd92

Postby Guy Pike » Wed May 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Dyno, you can tongue kiss Jeff Morrow's wife Anne-Marie if you tell her it's from me! If you find Chris Collins wife Sandy, ask her permission to kiss her cheek for Guy. Fran, I look forward to the day I can dazzle all with a Hawaiian shirt at a rally again. Maybe as early as next year if the economy turns! Eric, I sorely miss you my freind. Everyone have a ball at Mosport! Guy
Guy Pike

Postby huit » Wed May 26, 2010 4:01 pm

GP We want you back!!!!!!!!!!
sorry for the hijack
huit

Postby Chris Collins » Thu May 27, 2010 4:29 am

Bonjour, Guy - That's a pretty lame attempt to get me to respond, it won't work I tell ya :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Chris (& Sandie) Collins
DOCC #995

'07 GT1000
'75 860 GT
'73 450 Jupiter
Chris Collins

PreviousNext

35 posts • Page 2 of 31, 2, 3

Return to modern ducati tech