Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Termis: For Racing Use Only

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
18 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Re: Termis: For Racing Use Only

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:49 pm

Hello Rope,
I was talking about the engraved plates that I have on the aftermarket exhaust on my bikes in place of the name plate (who needs to advertise any exhaust manufacturer).These plates have been engraved with the same information that is on the stock canisters.I have been stopped often and have noticed that they read these plates and they never question me about the legality of the exhaust.Of course I might be mistaken,it may be my boyish good looks or my clear unprofane use of the English language that ensures my unblemished riding record.
Tnxs. Eric
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby Aran » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:07 pm

I should have followed-up much sooner but I've been out enjoying my new Termis. Back in August I pulled the trigger and had the "For Racing Use Only" silencer installed. Looking back at my earlier posts I'm reminded that I was leaning toward the street version. What happened since then? Well, I had some really good conversations with the guys at Apex about the relative merits (and relative volume) of the two systems and I watched some YouTube videos featuring the Racing Use system vs stock. Hearing the system (online)sold me and gave me a degree of comfort that the volume wouldn't be too loud. In reality, I don't think the system is much louder, if at all, than my 848 which is completely stock. The sound is much deeper and sounds very powerful (and awesome) but I think the tone gives the impression it's louder than it really is. I've asked all the guys I ride with if they think the bike is now too loud (granted, they aren't an unbiased audience) and they all say the bike now sounds the way it looks. To capture the other extreme of public opinion I asked my mom for her thoughts and she said the bike sounds scary and dangerous but not too loud - exactly what I was looking for! Roper, I know what you mean when you say your bike sounds vanilla. The stock mufflers are just too tame and really let down the overall riding experience. I regularly ride my SC for 4 or 5 hours at a time (without ear plugs) and the sound has never given me a headache or become annoying. My primary reasons for installing Termis were appearance and sound but it's worth noting that I have felt a significant increase in power. I don't know how much additional hp but I've read posts from others who say it could be as much as 7 hp. Regardless, it's a noticeable improvement and adds to the overall enjoyment. As for getting busted by the noise police, I'll take my chances and stay away from Caledon. I agree with fortheloveofducati that as long as I'm not really high in the rev range there shouldn't be a problem.
Aran

Postby Roper » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:18 pm

Real good to hear that you're liking your new system. Your description of the of the noticable differences between the stock exhaust and the Termi's is well received. I took Chris's advice and found the Termi Slip-ones at Iconic. Just waiting for the exhaust header to arrive before I take my bike out for install. Its going to be a long winter.
2009 Multistrada 1100S red
Some performance mods, some bling
Roper

Previous

18 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Return to modern ducati tech