Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Termis: For Racing Use Only

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
18 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Termis: For Racing Use Only

Postby Aran » Tue May 04, 2010 12:13 am

Hi guys, I'm hoping you can help me out. I just bought an '09 Sport 1000 Biposto and I'd like to put a set of Termis on it. My question is, why are the aluminum ones identified as for racing use only? The only difference I can see between these and the ones for street use is that the racing ones are aluminum and the street ones are steel. I presume the racing ones are lighter but why would that prevent them from being used on the street? If it's due to the fact that the racing ones aren't as quiet as those for the street, does anyone have any experience with the two? Are the racing ones that much louder? Are they really too loud for street use? I think I can guess the answer to this last question but which one sounds best.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Aran

Re: Termis: For Racing Use Only

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Wed May 05, 2010 2:14 pm

hello Aran,
If we told you the answer to your question, we would have to report you name not only to the Canadian National Registry for Loud Exhausts,but also Ducati North America.
Tnxs.Eric
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby 4theloveofducati » Wed May 05, 2010 8:47 pm

4theloveofducati

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Thu May 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Hello 4theloveofducati.
O.K. I have called Lang Hindle ,he was really pissed that you were using a 'race use only' Hindle exhaust on the street.As soon as he has his boat in the water he's coming after you.He mumbled something about Ducati guys not being able to read instructions and about all of our tax dollars going to the Ministry of the Enviroment Enforcment Division being wasted.
Tnxs. Eric
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby robb916998 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Well i think you have done it now Eric!
4theloveofducati is so scared of the Canadian National Registry for Loud Exhausts and Ministry of the Enviroment Enforcment Division THREAT that he has gone and let the big end bearing go on the sv!

I'm shur this is all a ploy to throw the agencies you speak of off track!

On a side note dose any one no the cost of fork seals and wheel bearings on a SV650?

:wink:
hi
robb916998

Postby 4theloveofducati » Mon May 10, 2010 10:22 pm

4theloveofducati

Postby Aran » Mon May 10, 2010 11:28 pm

Ok, street pipe it is. I don't want any trouble with the CNRLE or DNA - acronyms scare me. Thanks for your help, guys of the DOCC.
Aran

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Tue May 11, 2010 12:45 pm

Hello All,
O.K. ,heres the scoop!
After you have purchased your 'For race use only" exhaust system.you go to a reputable trophy shop and ask them to make up two plates with the following on them.

THIS ------(insert make)EXHAUST SYSTEM MEETS EPA NOISE EMISSION REQUIREMENTS OF 80 dBA FOR THE FOLLOWING MOTORCYCLES----------(insert model). INSTALLATION OF THIS EXHAUST SYSTEM ON MOTORCYCLE MODELS NOT SPECIFIED MAY VIOLATE FEDERAL LAW.

These plates can be obtained in aluminum,gold black or red.
Rivet these plates on your exhaust canisters In a area where they can be easily read by the Constabulary.
Send me $20.00 along with your grandmother's phone number and everything will be O.K.

If questioned by the Constabulary as to the authenticity of these plates.Affix them with a steely gaze and insist that these are the exhaust fitted to the bike when new.Dont break even under intensive questioning .

Tnxs. Eric.
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby 4theloveofducati » Tue May 11, 2010 9:14 pm

4theloveofducati

Postby Aran » Thu May 13, 2010 11:08 pm

4theloveofducati:

I enjoyed all the extra "chatter" but I appreciate your response. Maybe I'll roll the dice and go with the "for race use only". I never really liked my neighbours anyway!
Aran

Postby 4theloveofducati » Fri May 14, 2010 7:46 am

4theloveofducati

Postby Roper » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:51 pm

I just bought a 2009 multistrada. Love the bike, but find the exhaust tone a little vanilla. Especially with todays modern helmets that muffle the sound. I want to hear my bike. I love the crack of a performance exhause system and am going to put Termis on mine. But right now all the ducati shops can't get them. Out of stock. As soon as I find them they are one. Cant wait.
Rope
2009 Multistrada 1100S red
Some performance mods, some bling
Roper

Postby cm250to999 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:05 am

Iconic (Toronto) has a system in stock.

What I read of noise poposals leave 102 Db (target) aftermarket systems still in a safe zone. Almost all aftermarket systems claim this number, yet seem different from brand to brand and even model to model. Open pipe or megaphones will be shot on site (with a fine). works for me.

Chris
For, those that fly, may fight againe, Which he can never do that's slain.
OR: Fewer crashes mean more track time. ;)
cm250to999

Postby Stephen W. » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Aran, sorry to be so late to this party but, better late then never, right? :wink:

So anyway, the wife is going to get herself a set of carbon fiber Termi slip-ons for her new Monster 796. Now, according to the Ducati Performance catalogue this is a kit which includes a new ECU chip, carbon fiber heat shields and the carbon fiber mufflers with removable db killers. (I think it also includes a free flow air filter.)
If you haven't bought anything yet you should investigate if there is a similar kit for your '09 Sport. With the removable db killers you will have the best of both worlds.

As to some of the "chatter" well;

I know of many little cars who's owners have been harassed by LEO's and ticketed for "improper muffler" when in fact their exhaust systems are not as loud as many of our sport bikes or most Harleys! :x
Also, just because some people have been lucky and not pulled over for noise doesn't mean it can't happen to you. Like in Quebec were I believe it is now, (or soon will be) law that only OEM mufflers are legal on motorcycles.

Like 4theloveofducati says, "It's Only Wrong IF You Get Caught" :twisted:
the Dreamer (a.k.a. Dreamin' Stephen)
Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.
2013 MV Agusta 675 F3, 1998 900 SS FE (bi posto)
Stephen W.

Postby Roper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Aran - I appreciate your question. I am of the same frame of mind - wanting to hear more motor. I'm going to invest in termis. But first have to find a dealer that can find them for me. Right now in southern ontario they seem to be temporarily out of stock. I can''t wait to hear my bike barking out. A great winter project installing them.
As for mr summers - what the heck are you taking about????

Rope
2009 Multistrada 1100S red
Some performance mods, some bling
Roper

Next

18 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Return to modern ducati tech