Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Track Day - Tank Swap

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Track Day - Tank Swap

Postby gorjen » Sun May 16, 2010 11:53 am

Hi club members,

I am signed up for the May Mosport Rally and its the first time for me, although not the first track day. I have a 916 for which I have purchased some used fairing panels, axle sliders, etc. I was considering also swapping the fuel tank as a precaution in the (hopefully unlikely) event of going for a slide. All of the fuel tanks I've come across used are sans fuel pump and filler lid. Does anyone have experience swapping these parts from the existing tank? Is this a big job and are new gaskets or seals required for each swap? Is there much risk of damaging the pump, tank or other components? Any suggestions would be useful. Also, I may be interested if anyone has a complete tank with fuel pump at reasonable cost.

Thanks

Gord
gorjen

Re: Track Day - Tank Swap

Postby The Goochman » Sun May 16, 2010 1:50 pm

Unless you are in the habit of crashing at track rallies, I wouldn't worry too much about the tank.

I don't have any experience with a 916, but on my 749 the large o'ring that sealed the pump into the tank needed to be replaced. It looked okay, but it had obviously become swollen and ended up tearing when I tried to force it back in. I was able to get a new one locally, ie right size and material, no Ducati part number.

If you are going to do this, don't wait to do it. Time is getting short if you are going to Mosport. You might be better off just doing what is needed at this point. Last minute small jobs have a way of turning into major "OH Sh*ts" when time is getting short. DAMHIK!

Dave G
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby robb916998 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:56 am

Hay Gord .as Dave said the pump is in the bottom of the tank and thair is a big "O" ring and yes it is a bitch to put back in but it can be done.Some lube goes a long way .I have had the pump out on my 916 for filter replacements and hose replacements also to try n figure out why my fuel light is coming on when i know it has more than half a tank.I have had it out at the track in between sessions!and to put a E-bay tank on just as a precaution !!You can get a decent one for around 200 bucks without a pump and cap.probably a good time to get a screw on cap as well .

And I am still using the original "O" ring !!
hi
robb916998

Postby chris fournier » Mon May 17, 2010 10:53 am

If you had a tank and pump unit that was complete then the swap could be practical but every time we fiddle with fasteners, especially those gasline quick connects you're asking for a potential problem to crop up. Bring extra o-rings, hose clamps etc.

I too am concerend about the aluminum tank on my 888 but honestly I've come to the conclusion that if I wreck the tank there may be some other collateral damage that would set me back as well! I run the one tank and TRY to ride with a safety reserve and bring it home in one piece.
chris fournier

Postby robb916998 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:21 pm

hi
robb916998

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech