Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

specialty tools

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

specialty tools

Postby jocati » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:43 am

i am in the lower mainland bc and am aquiring some of the specialty tools required to work on my 1198 and am interested in sharing these with other interested parties to reduce costs
jocati

Re: specialty tools

Postby jocati » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:35 am

after tackling changing the clutch cover and clipons on my 1198s i was ready for the next level ( light flywheel )

got the part , several specialty tools ( incl flywheel holder and case remover ) and full speed ahead

disassembly went fine and i am putting the new very much lighter flywheel on when i realize the previously used flywheel holder will not work on the new one , the old one has holes machined in it to be held by the holder and the new flywheel being much small diameter and thinner has none

a little more research and i find i need a different holder that grips the generator instead of the flywheel

the new holder is over 400 bucks and i start calling shops to see if i can rent one for this hopefully onetime application , one shop in nanaimo has closed , the one in richmond would lend it to me if they had at and finally the one shop that probably has it due to the racing they sponsor wont bother checking because they dont rent tools out

in most other situations i would mcgivver a tool but this is my princess and the nut requires 225 ft lbs of torque so i wont screw with it

the job having been completed i am please to report the bikes motor spins up more freely without too much more lopey idle , coupled with the race exhaust and open clutch cover it sounds wonderful

i now know that i didnt have to buy the first flywheel holding tool as the second more expensive one would have worked with both , sooooooooooooooo this kinda ties in with the original thread of sharing tools , i have more to share now

next year i tackle the lightend cam pulleys and valve adjustment

ps this was the first time i used the liquid gasket and it worked out very presentable and no leaks yeeeee haaa
jocati

Re: specialty tools

Postby cm250to999 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:07 pm

frustration aside, it sounds like you are having fun.
For, those that fly, may fight againe, Which he can never do that's slain.
OR: Fewer crashes mean more track time. ;)
cm250to999

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech