Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Fairing removal eliminator + Fasteners

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Fairing removal eliminator + Fasteners

Postby Camnorris » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:29 pm

I bought the kit from Desmo Times to eliminate the need to remove the upper fairing in order to get to the lowers. I have not yet installed in on my '01 ST4. I have been reading some posts in the ST2 owners group that suggests that it is hard to install and may or may not work. Has anyone out there had any experience with this 'kit'?

Secondly, does anyone know of a source of a prepackages 'kit' of all the Dzus fasteners, male and female required for this ST4? I tried to do it myself with varied results, some fit, some dont.

thanks

Cam
Camnorris

Re: Fairing removal eliminator + Fasteners

Postby cm250to999 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:17 am

First, I had a look for the kit at Desmo Times, just to see what the plan was. I could not find it on the website, so I don't know what to say in regard to that. I did notice while it seems they have come up with a dzus kit for 848-1198, as expected it has some issues. To be fair the modification desired (switching to dzus) has issues no matter how hard someone tries. Be it ST (no way in my mind) or SBK (can be done but sucks eggs)

This is where it gets a little ugly and needs some bravado mixed with care. The lowers (side panels) can be removed without taking the upper (nose) off on all ST models. Before I go any further, let me say I am a bit of a nut case, so grain of salt may be handy. OK to help with terminology that the Ducati parts system uses; The very top part may be called the nose. Lowers, or side panels consist of an "upper" part, and "lower" part on each side. The big difference between an early ST and later models is the eventual elimination of the forward tab of the upper panel on each side. It is possible to remove the screw to this tab with a very long extension (1/4" drive only way IMO) and universal joint.

Long story short, and this sounds stupid, saw that tab off. Then it will match later design. Now we are at the same point for all ST's. Disclaimer, I am only a decade or so away from senility, so maybe there is something I am forgetting...but I doubt it.

The panel between the instruments and triple clamp must have it's outer screws removed. The wings of the nose must be spread carefully farther than what feels good. Later models there is a screw in each wing. With the wings of the nose spread the side panels can be worked in and out. To be honest, I have to take a breath each time I do this, to do it right. Going back in, the right side panel upper has to be slightly spread to slip around coolant tank. This is one of those things about 15 times easier to show and tell vs. just tell.

I do hope this helps, and yes I do need help myself. The thing is they havn't found a cure for someone that has spent way too much time thinking Ducati only. I swear I can do the fairing trick without damaging a thing. YMMV

CM
For, those that fly, may fight againe, Which he can never do that's slain.
OR: Fewer crashes mean more track time. ;)
cm250to999

Postby Camnorris » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:31 pm

If you go to the Desmo Times website look along the top in teensy letters for 'ST' the kit is in this group. As I say, looks like a good idea but I am hearing some complaints about fitment.

Desmo Times 1997-2003 ST-Series Dzus Fastener Fairing Brackets - $35.00

I did adopt a mod I saw a few years ago to hold the mirrors on with handknob fasteners rather than the 10mm nut located awkwardly inside. This has been a handy thing to have.

tks

cam
Camnorris

Postby cm250to999 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:58 pm

got it, yup senility is kicking in sooner than I want to admit. I went to ST page before and completely missed it. Still can't offer a worth while opinion, seems like one of those deals that must be tried by someone. I got a laugh out of the Q&A section;
5. Why don't you include Dzus fasteners?
Because not everybody wants to convert to dzus fasteners.

Truth for sure, is that if you do have the time, taking the top (nose, whatever) off is the best. Where did you find the (I assume) knurled fasteners?

I hope you, and everyone else don't mind kicking this stuff around. I actually enjoy hearing what folks do to keep their rides going.

Take care
Chris
For, those that fly, may fight againe, Which he can never do that's slain.
OR: Fewer crashes mean more track time. ;)
cm250to999

Postby Camnorris » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:15 pm

The guy that sells these is somewhat of a case. People tend to tread lightly around him lest they are cut off...like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld.

Anyway, the handknob mod was from some forum a while ago, sorry, senility has a firm hold on me. I remember you went to McMaster Carr and you find the small, plastic hand knobs. Then you get 'set screws' of the right thread for the 10mm female threads in the hand knobs and Loctite them in. Voila. It really is handy.

I fell off my roof Dec 11th and broke both legs so today for the first time I walkered myself out to my workshop aka The Dawghouse and the kit was there. It looks very well made and I have to say I am tending towards giving it a try once I am more mobile. What doesn't fit properly can be bent and mashed into shape surely. There's always a bigger hammer.

Reading the instructions, it says "for the rest of the Dzus fasteners go to "Racebolts.com" so I think I'll have a look. I tried going Dzus myself but it only 1/2 works. You need to be sitting next to a wharehouse full of Dzus fasteners and pick and choose till you get the right ones for each location.
Camnorris

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech