Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

Good service dept?

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Good service dept?

Postby 219848 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:49 pm

Where is the best place to take my 848 to have the belts replaced?
How much should this service cost?
I'm considering doing it my self, I've done a few timing belts on cars, but I don't have the special tools needed, trying to decide do I take it in or buy the tools...
What do you guys do?

Re: Good service dept?

Postby The Goochman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:32 pm

The first question is where do you live?

Personally, I would do it myself, but then I have done it before. I bought the tool to hold the cams in place and promptly lost it so I ended up doing the job without. I found it after I sold the bike. It wasn't that difficult.

What is you level of mechanical competence?

Yes, the belts are outrageously expensive $150+ each if memory serves me correctly.

Dave G
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby 219848 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm in Barrie.

I did three years as mechanic apprentice, so I think I'm competent. I'm just not familiar with ducatis.

I thought you needed:
- tool to hold cams
- tool to turn belt tensioner
- hz meter to measure tension

Can the job be done without any of these?

Did you do it on an 848?
Any tips, if I do tackle this myself?

Thanks for your help!

Postby The Goochman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm in Sarnia, so I can't help you with the dealer.

My experience is with the 749, but it was a Testrastretta motor so it is probably similar to the 848.

Like I said, I had the tool, but couldn't find it when I needed it so I did without. It really wasn't that difficult.

I don't recall anything special being required to adjust the tensioner, although there is a special tool according to the manual. I can't remember exactly what it was that I used, but it was a combination of tools that came out of my normal toolbox. It might have been a large crescent wrench and a socket. If I could look at the parts, I could probably remember what I used.

For the belt tension, I cheated. I pushed on the belt between the cam pulleys with my thumb and measured the deflection. Then I went to the dealer and had them do it for real. As I recall, they told me that my brand new belt was worn out and needed to be replaced. Go figure.

Before you commit to the replacement, take off the belt covers and stare at the parts until you are familiar with the placement and alignment before you take anything off. The timing marks do not line up! Make sure that you set your own before you take the belts off.

I should have asked, you do have a service manual for the bike don't you????? That will make life much easier.

Feel free to ask questions and hopefully a real mechanic will pipe up with the answers, instead of a talented shade tree type like me!

Dave G
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby Ric » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:46 pm

Just one thing to add to Dave's post.A digi-cam is your friend with a bunch of pics for belt routing etc.Everytime i dive under the acres of tupperware on my Wing i take loads of pics for proper placement of wires and hoses.
I'll meet ya in the bar.
Ric Waterloo #944
Ric

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:02 am

I recently did the belts in my 999 motor which should be exactly the same process as your 848.

I have the cam holding tool and found it useful on the rear cylinder. You can do it without, but it makes it quite a bit more difficult.

I also have the special tool needed to hold the tensioner. It is useful and made the adjusting much easier. You can do the job without it. I did not have this tool when I changed the belts on my 748.

I also went to the local music store and bought a $19 guitar tuner. I tuned the belts to 110Hz within 5 minutes of turning the thing on. I believe 110hz is the correct figure for the 848.

You will also need an engine turning tool or some way to turn the engine (remove the plugs first!)

It would be really helpful if you had a manual and read it several times before you spin your first wrench.

BEFORE YOU TAKE YOUR BELTS OFF you MUST mark the pulleys. The white marks on the pulleys mean nothing. They are there for no reason other than to mess with your mind. They will screw you up. Get a paint pen from your local art store and mark everything (See attached photo of the pink marks that I added, and the useless white ones from the factory)

There are also some useful videos on YouTube of someone changing belts that you may want to check out.

I also agree with Ric - take as many pictures as you can. You never know what you're going need.

Good luck!
Chris
Attachments
pulleys.jpg
(97.84 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
Chris

Postby The Goochman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby iambrian » Tue May 03, 2011 3:33 pm

If you really want a dealer.. I'd say ride/drive down to in Waterloo. I bought my bike there. Super awesome guys.
iambrian

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech