Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

gittery feel on braking

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

gittery feel on braking

Postby vfong » Sun May 01, 2011 11:24 am

end of last fall, I changed the disc and pads to the ST3, because the OEM disc had a pulse and was deemed warped. The new set up was a set of pedal design and was not a brand name but I believe them to be thru.
The pads are EBC green level (H or HH), so they have more friction than stock. I am getting a gittery
feel with brake application at speed, more so at the inital grab. feels like some part of the disc has more friction than others. After some hard applications, one disc shows darker lines like its was getting scorched. what do I do now?, change to regular pads or just continue. I have only been out about 300km since the change last fall.
vfong

Re: gittery feel on braking

Postby vfong » Thu May 26, 2011 11:48 am

OK I will reply to my own quiry; I have found the old stock pads and put them back on. they felt better in that there was less gittery and once heated up, it was even less noticeable. I also notice that there are a few pitted black spots on the rotor- my conclusion is that the rotor material was not consistant, although not warped, it had imperfections great enough to give that gittery feel. As if one part of the disc had more friction.
As the saying goes "the fustration of cheap (knock offs) lingers far longer than the pleasure of the savings".

I am now looking for another set of rotors- my top choices are:

1)Galfer wave rotors - Pashnit sells them for $576 and there is a promo in May for a free rear wave disc. Plus $100 if I want gold carrier and red buttons.

2)Brembo "Braketech" Axis rotors $650/pr.

3)Braking disc rotors.

Any suggestions or experiences out there? :?
vfong

Re: gittery feel on braking

Postby p8ntdyou » Thu May 26, 2011 8:29 pm

didnt see this earlier...

sometimes when replacing brake parts the new rotors need to wear in with the pads. but hey, you've only got 2 wheels, you own a duc... don't cheap out on tires or brakes - i'd rather not ride vs ride on cheapo stuff.

but hey, thats just me

galpher / brembo / ebc / dp are in my opinion all decent rotors so i wouldn't hesitate using any of them
749 - my Demon of fun!
p8ntdyou

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech