Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

washer replacement

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
16 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

washer replacement

Postby bandito » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi,

I need to get one head washer that I lost to secure the head nut. I order them about a month ago and I am still waiting. I would rather use the stock washer but I also want to start riding. Does any one know if I can get away with using any washer that fits?
bandito

Re: washer replacement

Postby 4theloveofducati » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:58 pm

What's so special about the washer? Isn't it just a regular flat washer?? I don't see how it would be the end of the world... Maybe I'm wrong?? Typically a washer is just a washer, but in not 100%
4theloveofducati

Postby The Goochman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby The Goochman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:09 pm

Why is it a special washer? Because Ducati says so.

This is the part description from the on-line parts fiche:

Special washer. WASHER 10.5X21X2 749-999 B/04.

The special is probably the 10.5mm ID. An 11 will substitute just fine. If you find a 10mm ID washer, you can always drill or file it out to size.

IF you are really desperate, you can make one.

Dave G
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby 4theloveofducati » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:16 pm

With out the washer, it will dig in to the aluminum head while tightening ( not by much, but I don't like gouges ). I am a firm believer when it comes to engine hardware that if it was there before, it should be put back on. Regardless I would figure a flat washer of the matching original size would suffice.
4theloveofducati

Postby bandito » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I agree with all of them. I did check out home depot, CanadaTire, rona, etc. I even went to Fastenal and Brofasco. They all have washers that match he outside diameter but the inside diameter is always bigger than the stock washer and thickness is greater. I can get them to make a custom washer but there is a minimum order of 50.

Also (this is the weird part) in the manual it says "Insert the special washers (20) on the stud bolts (P) with the sharp edge facing the head and the flat side pointing inwards.". The factory washer does have a bid of a sharp edge (slanted edge) but both sides are flat. The phrase doesn't make any sense, at least not to me. Maybe it's not translated properly. I wasn't sure if the washer was something that Ducati came up with to help torque the nuts properly. I was worried that maybe the head nut could come loose if the the wrong washer was used and warp the head. I guess I'll keep looking.
bandito

Postby 4theloveofducati » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Any washer will do as long as its a close size, it does not half to be 100% exact. You won't need a special one for it.

As for "sharp edge" means the side that the washer was stamped threw. It will be the widest point of the side of the washer.

Any M10 washer will do as long as the outside diameter is the same, like Dave said above you may need to open the internal hole size a bit. A drill bit and a drill, or a old round file will help you open it up a bit.

I don't know why they use a 10.5MM id washer when the stud is 10MM.

Have you tried a M10 washer to see if it will fit?

I would chose either fasenal it brofasco over any Canadian tire or like business for hardware any day if the week. It's typically higher quality, with better coating to prevent rusting and corrosion between the aluminum you will be mating it with
4theloveofducati

Postby bandito » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:46 pm

I looked at M10 washers but the center hole was bigger than the special washer. I'll have to take a picture to show you.
bandito

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:54 pm

Hello All,
Please note ,the following advice from Ducati N/A . Ducati head washers are special .The washer has a special circumference profile and size(the edge of the washer has a straight area) that fits into a recess in the head surface, this prevents the washer from turning on the head surface when tightening thereby preventing galling of the aluminum head surface.It is also required to lubricate between the nut and washer surface,this also will cause free movement between the nut and washer .Do not lubricate between the washer and aluminum head surface. Do not use just any washer.Some one must have some of these special washers.High tech but for a good reason !
Tnxs. Eric
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby bandito » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured. I can get them from the states in about 4-6 days but that will cost me about $20. I will wait until the end of the week and make a decision. I was hoping that someone would be scrapping a bike and have the washers but posting in the classifies didn't even give a hit. I did use high heat molybdenum grease between the washer and nut and also on the threads of the nut. I will have to reinstall as I put some of the washers on the wrong way.
bandito

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Hello Bandito,
Hopefully you are located close to G.P. Bikes in Ajax .I checked with their service department and Ken Livingston has a couple of these special washers .They are take off parts, but I am sure that they will do for your needs.Ken is keeping them for you.I feel that the correct way to handle this politically is to go into G.P. ask Tom their Parts Manager to order two new washers for Ken to replace the two that Ken is saving for you.Both Ken and Tom are Salt of the Earth Guys.
This is why we belong to the Club!
Tnxs. Eric
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby bandito » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:43 pm

Thank you Eric. I really appreciate the reply and what you have done. Unfortunately I live in Hamilton and it's a about 1 1/2 hour drive one way. I will call tomorrow and see if they can mail. I was dealing with Peninsula Imports as the are the closest. I am surprised that they wouldn't have such a part in stock. I'm sure they remove the heads from time to time and lose a washer once in awhile. It sucks that they are the only local Ducati dealer and their not reply that local. They even charge $5 for one washer. www.ducatiomaha.com charges $1 and has them in stock but it cost $16 for shipping but the washers do arrive within 4-6 days. I figured that since this was a month ago Pennisula would have got them in by the time the weather got better but not the case. I will call GP. Thanks for your help.
bandito

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:53 am

Hello Bandito,
Just a comment .If you have driven to Peninsula,the extra one hour drive to G.P. is well worth the effort to obtain what you need in this case.Take some friends for entertainment on the trip. Make it an experience!
It's almost as good as going to a bike show.
Tnxs, Eric
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby Stephen W. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Sorry to be so late to this thread but...
Ride Cycle in Vaughan is the new Toronto Ducati Dealer. I’m sure they have very little in their parts inventory at this time. However, Chris McDermott is their Ducati mechainic and has been wrenching on them for years. He may just have a couple in his tool box. It wouldn’t hurt to give ‘em a call.
905-851-8000
Ride Motorcycles Toronto
7730 Islington Avenue - Vaughan - Ontario - L4L 1W3
info@ridemotorcyclestoronto.com
If they can help you that’s great. If not then you still have Ken at GP.
Just tryin' to spread the luv :wink:
the Dreamer (a.k.a. Dreamin' Stephen)
Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.
2013 MV Agusta 675 F3, 1998 900 SS FE (bi posto)
Stephen W.

Postby bandito » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:05 pm

I called GPBikes and RIde Cycle. Neither had the part. GPBikes said the part shows as stock status in Italy. I called Peninsula again it looks like the same thing so that part should be here any day. I emailed OmahaDucati to see if they can mail the washer instead of shipping it. Can't see why someone would have to pay $16 for shipping when a stamp is like a $1. If I get a chance to drive out to Ajax before the part arrives from Peninsula then I may just do that. Thanks again for everyone's replies.
bandito

Next

16 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Return to modern ducati tech