Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

leaky oil filters anyone ?

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
16 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

leaky oil filters anyone ?

Postby Chris Collins » Wed May 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else out there replaced their oil filters with a new Ducati filter from their dealer and had an oil leak result, from the filter itself ?

I can't find any other leak source in that area, and I'm on my second filter, from different dealers. Or am I missing something ? This is on the 848 Streetfighter...
Cheers,
Chris (& Sandie) Collins
DOCC #995

'07 GT1000
'75 860 GT
'73 450 Jupiter
Chris Collins

Re: leaky oil filters anyone ?

Postby ute » Thu May 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Yes 3 last year ( s2r Monster)

I have purchased 1 this year all seems good

On the Monster forums this seems fairly common, I am going to go back to using the Amsoil filters they are far superior to the Duc filters
ute

Postby The Goochman » Thu May 23, 2013 8:19 pm

Yup, I have been having the problem for several years now on 2 different bikes. 2002 ST2, 85 Cagiva Alazzurra. (Yes, I have been oiling the seal rubber with USED engine oil before installing the filter.)

They seem to be leaking from the seal on the filter itself. It primarily happens when the engine is cold and the oil pressure is at it highest. I have found that if I really reef down on the filter I can stop the leak. I have had 2 separate batches of filters (separated by a couple of years, so it is not a problem with a particular batch of filters) do this to me.

I may try the K&N filter to see if it is any better.

Has anybody tried contacting Ducati to ask about the issue?

Dave G
aka The Goochman
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby robb916998 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Brandons 748 filter pissed its pants last year at calabogie !
we have made the move to k & n.

The belly pan payed for its self that day .
hi
robb916998

Postby Mark Lussier » Thu May 23, 2013 9:34 pm

Me too. My 900ss was spotting last week while warming up. The filter has always been safety wired and was still tight.
DOCC Events Coordinator
Mark Lussier

Postby bandito » Fri May 24, 2013 3:04 pm

When I got my bike it came with the stock Ducati filter which leaked so I changed it with another stock filter. It didn't leak but I dented it lowering the engine and ended up destroying it to get it off. I replaced it with the K&N filter which is supposed to have better filtration capabilities. It does not leak and has a gasket that's more like a flap and the nut on the end is much easier for removal and installation.

I bought mine through Performance Improvements.
bandito

Postby Chris Collins » Sat May 25, 2013 4:37 am

Thanks for the response, everyone. So it's not just me then, or me imagining that it's the filter that's leaking. Sounds like a legitimate problem...

Dave, this condition hasn't been reported to the dealer by me yet, don't know about anyone else. I wanted to get a handle on it first before saying anything to Inglis.

If I can get it to stop leaking with some extra tightening, I'll try that first. And if it stops the leak, I probably won't say anything to the dealer about it.

If I can't get it to stop leaking, I'll probably try the K&N, as a couple of you have suggested.

But tighter first, will see how that goes :idea:
Cheers,
Chris (& Sandie) Collins
DOCC #995

'07 GT1000
'75 860 GT
'73 450 Jupiter
Chris Collins

Postby bandito » Sat May 25, 2013 9:22 am

Be careful how tight you go. You will have a battle on your hands to get it off.
bandito

Postby The Goochman » Sun May 26, 2013 9:20 pm

No worries there Bandito, same wrench that got used to tighten the filter, get used to take it off again.

What bothers me, is that I shouldn't have to use a wrench at all to install it in the first place.

Dave G
aka The Goochman
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby Chris Collins » Mon May 27, 2013 2:21 am

Right you are Dave :!: Hand tight should be plenty, there's some kind of design flaw here...
Cheers,
Chris (& Sandie) Collins
DOCC #995

'07 GT1000
'75 860 GT
'73 450 Jupiter
Chris Collins

Postby Bishamon » Mon May 27, 2013 9:07 am

Last year the OEM filter installed by the dealer was leaking. When tightening didn't help, I replaced it with a K&N, and the leak stopped. The dealer changed the oil and filter again in the fall, and this far, this filter hasn't leaked, either (though it also isn't a Ducati filter).
2011 Monster 796
2007 Sport 1000 SE (SOLD) :(
Bishamon

Postby bandito » Mon May 27, 2013 10:12 am

I would say it's definitely the OEM filter that's faulty. It's funny how some OEM parts are wonky. Too bad nobody makes an aftermarket fuel level sensor.
bandito

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Wed May 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Hello All,
I have always used K&N filters since they first became available .The construction and the nut just looked better to me! After I purchased the Hypermotard at the first oil change it was mentioned to me by dealer personnel that they had experienced some leakage with K&N filters and if I had motor problems that I might have a problem with warranty if I was not using the O.E.M. filter.I dutifully changed to a O.E.M. filter for the warranty period. After the bike was out of warranty I switched back to K&N, the construction still impresses me. In further discussion with other dealer personnel I heard " Yes , a few leaking filters ,as many O.E.M. as K&N's".
I did not have any problems with oil leakage from the filter with either O.E.M. or K&N filters.My method for filter installation is to use the manufacturers torque specification for tightening ,fill the new filter with oil before installation and lubricate the rubber gasket with new oil then install with a toque wrench. My belief is that you cannot tighten a filter by hand accurately to the correct torque any more than you can torque any fastener without a torque wrench.My belief is, if the O.E.M. engine designer/manufacturer thinks it's important to includes a torque spec. for the filter ,then it is important enough to use it!

Dave, surely you mean new oil on the rubber gasket ?
Tnxs Eric.
P.S. will contact sources at Ducati re leaking filters and advise as soon as possible.
Last edited by ERIC SUMMERS on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby ERIC SUMMERS » Wed May 29, 2013 1:02 pm

Hello All,
After discussion with Ducati factory engine assembly trainers.
The only correct method of installation of a Ducati O.E.M. filter would be to fill the filter with the recommended grade of new oil ,lubricate the seal/gasket with new oil and tighten to the correct torque as specified in the appropriate O.E.M. manual with an O.E.M. Ducati cup type installation tool.....There it is .......Whatever
Tnxs. Eric.
P.S. no, I do not give out certain phone numbers
ERIC SUMMERS

Postby chris fournier » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:10 pm

My experience is by no means exhaustive but we have sold hundreds of Ducati oil filters and installed 90% of them in our shop. We have not a an oil leak complaint stemming from the filter seal yet to my knowledge from either our installations or the customers.

Eric's last quote from the Ducati employee is the proceedure that we use. I have seen o-rings from the used filter stay with the engine case and the new filter applied on top of it. This of course caused a leak. The filter was not a Ducati filter in either instance.
chris fournier

Next

16 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Return to modern ducati tech