Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

620 oil use, possible rebuild?

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

620 oil use, possible rebuild?

Postby wilson11 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:14 pm

My 620 Multistrada is using oil to the tune of about 400cc for a 5,000km oil change interval.The mileage is 50,000kms. It still runs and starts very good. It's not been a big deal, I just add a little bit every so often to keep the oil level half way on the sight gauge. It doesn't smoke on start up or when just idling.
Now that the riding season is coming to a end I would like to fix it.Should I fix this or just ride as is?Is it that big of a problem or is this about right for motors with this mileage? Possible culprits I guess would be valve seals,valve guides or piston rings. That's all I can think of. Is there anything else to look at? Where is a good place to take this to? I live in the west end of Toronto so am leaning toward Peninsula in Oakville due to proximity. Any comments on their tech staff ? I'm under the impression the fellow is quite good. I have used Chris Mcdermott for the majority of the maintenance every since they were at Bathurst street so I don't have a problem with him doing it. Peninsula is just closer that's all.
I have been looking at newer bikes but the price tags are a little scary. This bike so far has been very solid so I feel O.K. with fixing it.
Thanks in advance.
wilson11

Re: 620 oil use, possible rebuild?

Postby The Goochman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:26 pm

Stupid question,

If you are happy with Chris's work, why bother going elsewhere? It is not like you are talking about 100's of km for a round trip?

I am not knocking Peninsula, I have no experience with any of the dealers.

BTW Where exactly is Chris working these days. I have a few issues with my ST2 that I would like him to look at. (600km round trip!)

Dave G
Dave Gooch
aka The Goochman
The Goochman

Postby wilson11 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:47 pm

Chris was working at Ride Motorcycles earlier this spring. I don't know if he is there now.
wilson11

Postby Chris Collins » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:23 pm

Wilson, I'd be using 3000 kms. as the oil change interval. It's not a car, and it's air-cooled.

High mileage, 50K, I'd be inclined to think there's some ring & cylinder wear issues.

Get your guy (whoever you choose) to pull the heads over the winter and have a look.

Or, that amount of oil consumption isn't really bad, if you can live with it. But it'll get steadily worse...

Just my thoughts ; I'm sure others on this list have other ideas :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Chris (& Sandie) Collins
DOCC #995

'07 GT1000
'75 860 GT
'73 450 Jupiter
Chris Collins

Postby chris fournier » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:57 pm

You are asking about whether or not you should just go ahead and tear down an engine - $$$!

You are then given some pretty questionable advice about what is wrong and what you should do.

You need to quantify the condition of your engine and guess what? There is a simple test that you can have done to determine where your engine is at - it's called a leakdown test. This test will likely cost you about $75.00 and it will tell you how "tight" your top end is.

Of course you have not mentioned whether or not your bike leaks oil, it may actually be leaking oil, not consuming it.

Be systematic and pragmatic, you can determine what is up with your bike without taking it apart searching for answers.
chris fournier

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech