Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

momentary glowing oil light

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

momentary glowing oil light

Postby smartduc » Mon May 08, 2006 4:20 pm

Oh wisest ducatisti, I seek your wisdom.

Saturday while returning home from having taught a riding class in Kingston, I noted that the oil light began to glow dimly on my new (only 1700kms) Paul Smart. I was merely poking along at 140 in sixth for about 20 mins when this occured. As I pondered what to do, it began to glow slightly brighter. The oil temp at this point was 87C. I pulled off, checked the oil, it was at the correct level and looked very clear ( just had an oil change at 1000km) although there were a couple of air bubbles at the top. Back on the bike, no glow, then after a while, I could see it beginning to light up again. Slowed down to 120, it got dimmer, slowed to 110, it disappeared.

The dash lights on this bike are very bright. I'm ASSUMING that had there been a real problem with oil pressure or level, that warning light would be BRIGHT.

Anyone willing to provide a comment or advice?

Oh yeah, I was also low on gas and fuel light lit up brightly afterward.

cheers,

smartduc
smartduc

Postby greyduc » Mon May 08, 2006 10:29 pm

I can't say that I've experienced this on my Supersport 1000 which has the same engine. Mine has gone 8,500km without any issues.

I would definitely take it back to the dealer to diagnose and repair under warranty. A serious problem in my opinion.
'05 Senna Grey Supersport 1000, Micron Ti canisters, Scorpio alarm.
greyduc

Postby chiarelloa » Tue May 09, 2006 5:22 am

Well, I have experienced this twice, once on my 97 ST2 and the other on my 00 996SPS. In both cases, it was due to an oil pressure sensor failure... I would not be too worried if I were you, but have this sensor changed at your dealer (under warranty I would assume) and that should fix the problem.

Best,

Alex.
chiarelloa

Postby Rob374 » Tue May 09, 2006 8:36 am

You should get the bike is ASAP. Oil lights are never a good thing. It may just be the sensor but who needs their summer wasted waiting for parts
Rob374

Solution: intermittent dimly glowing oil light

Postby smartduc » Wed May 17, 2006 4:28 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied to my intermittent dimly glowing oil light problem.

Took a little while to track down but I think I've got it!
The key is that I'd been riding in heavy rain that morning and part of the previous night.

Water ran down the oil sensor wire, leaked past the rubber boot and into the sensor holder itself. The top of the sensor holder is shaped like a ridged nipple. The hole itself is wide open, easily collecting water.

Sure enough, when I took the thing apart, a little bit of moisture dripped out. That was enough water to confuse the sensor. I dried the whole assembly with a hair dryer and applied some Automotive Goop to the area where the wire enters the sensor holder under the boot .

Voila! No worries, no problems since. Engine is ticking like a swiss watch. ;-)

smartduc
Belleville
-now feeling smarter ;-)
smartduc

Postby greyduc » Wed May 17, 2006 9:33 pm

Glad it wasn't more serious than that. I will have to look at this on my bike and do some preventative maintenance. 8)
'05 Senna Grey Supersport 1000, Micron Ti canisters, Scorpio alarm.
greyduc

Re: momentary glowing oil light

Postby keloran » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:37 pm

Hi there:

I rode through several days of torrential rain and was greatly concerned when my oil light sprang to life. But having read about your experience, I'm not so freaked out about it now.

-Kel
2007 Ducati Monster 695 Dark
keloran

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech