Ducati Owners Club Of Canada

10,000km service

Discuss maintenance and modification of modern Ducatis'.
1 post • Page 1 of 1

10,000km service

Postby greyduc » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:06 am

In order to keep the 2 year/20,000km warranty in effect, it is necessary to have an authorized dealer perform certain maintenance tasks at 1,000km and at 10,000km.

I just had the 10,000km servicing done. Since I now have a service manual, I completed some of the tasks as listed on the maintenance schedule (oil and filter change, checking various bolts/nuts for the proper torque, air filter inspection, side fairings removed, etc.) and had the dealer inspect valve clearances and cam belt tension and adjust only as necessary.

As it turned out, only 2 of the 8 valve clearances (opening and closing rocker arm clearances for each intake and exhaust valve, 2 valves per cylinder x 2 cylinders) had to be adjusted and the cam belts needed to be re-tensioned (which requires engine timing to be re-set - there is actually a provision to degree the cams! Obviously Ducati has a precision mindset! Different than my Japanese machines which don't have adjustable cam sprockets so that engine timing can't be corrected for cam chain stretch :x ).

By doing some of the work myself, I was able to reduce shop labour to only 3 hours instead of 6.5 hours and still keep the remainder of the warranty in effect - cost savings to be spent on Ducati clothing and accessories of course. :D
'05 Senna Grey Supersport 1000, Micron Ti canisters, Scorpio alarm.
greyduc

1 post • Page 1 of 1

Return to modern ducati tech